    owned and other is provided by college on wifi. I am using Windows
    Vista 64 Ultimate Operating System. How can I choose which task to
    connect through which connection.

    Flying Dodo, Jul 23, 2009

  2. Flying Dodo

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Flying Dodo wrote:
    > I have two internet connection. One is dial up, my own personally
    > owned and other is provided by college on wifi. I am using Windows
    > Vista 64 Ultimate Operating System. How can I choose which task to
    > connect through which connection.

    Flip a coin?

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid

    Eric Sosman, Jul 23, 2009

  3. "Flying Dodo" <> wrote in message
    >I have two internet connection. One is dial up, my own personally
    > owned and other is provided by college on wifi. I am using Windows
    > Vista 64 Ultimate Operating System. How can I choose which task to
    > connect through which connection.

    errm, you can't?...

    or, at least not under normal circumstances...

    the reason is because a common routing table is used between all
    connections, and typically all apps route their traffic through this common
    routing table.

    in order to route through a particular connection, you would have to send
    the data somewhere which would be visible from one connection, but not
    through another (difficult on the open internet).

    one possibility here would be an ISP-specific proxy server, ...
    in this case, some apps have configurable proxy settings, and so if you know
    of a proxy server, it could be possible to "strongly influence" which
    connection the traffic goes over (may not work if it is on the dial-up end
    though, since it may be quickly discovered that the proxy server is much
    faster to access via WiFi, and to the traffic takes this route...).

    so, ideally, something which does not exist on the open internet.
    another property could be via the "gateway", which is typically specific to
    a particular subnet, and "may" have proxy capabilities.

    of course, there is a much simpler option than all this:
    run each task on a separate computer, and have each computer only have a
    single (direct) internet connection (however, they may still safely
    communicate with each other, for example, by setting up a LAN between them,
    since without special effort being taken, traffic destined for the internet
    will not go between them...).

    BGB / cr88192, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Flying Dodo <> writes:
    > I have two internet connection. One is dial up, my own personally
    > owned and other is provided by college on wifi. I am using Windows
    > Vista 64 Ultimate Operating System. How can I choose which task to
    > connect through which connection.

    This has nothing to do with the C programming language. Try asking in
    a Windows forum.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Jul 23, 2009
  5. Flying Dodo wrote:

    > I have two internet connection. One is dial up, my own
    > personally owned and other is provided by college on wifi. I am
    > using Windows Vista 64 Ultimate Operating System. How can I
    > choose which task to connect through which connection.

    You asked in the wrong NG. They keywords for you are "binding the
    socket to a address/interface" and "source based routing".

    I could tell you without much ado how to do it in Linux and BSD
    (bind, setsockopt SO_BINDTODEVICE, ip route tables). Im positive
    though, that similiar is possible with Windows, too.

    Redirecting your question there,

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Draxinger, Jul 23, 2009