two JARs

Arne Vajhøj

2013-02-23 19:46, Martin Gregorie skrev:
Roedy Green wrote:
bob smith wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
Can someone help me understand exactly what a seasoned Java programmer
would expect to be in each of these JARs? I'm a little confused. I
don't know which one to use.

Use them both - the "sources" JAR for the source code and the other one
for the actual classes.

In general, a "seasoned Java programmer" would expect "foo-dah-lily.jar"
to be suitable for insertion into the classpath, and
"foo-dah-lily-source.jar" (or "...sources.jar") to contain the source
files. Hence the word "source" in the JAR name. Logical, huh?

look inside them with WinZip. Presumably sources contains .java files
and the other .class files.

WinZip?

What if he's not using Windows?

In Linux (and most unices, so also BSD - but I don't know what OS X does)
you can use the 'unzip' command line utility as well as 'jar' to test the
jar file, list its contents or extract files from it.

Alternatively, in most Linuxes, clicking on the .jar file in the File
Manager window will start an Archive Manager so you can review, extract
and/or view the contents of files in the archive. In Fedora that is
Xarchiver and the file associations default to using it open jar files.

Emacs is also capable of handling file archives, and is freely available
for Linux, Unix, Windows, etc.

But it is very rare on Windows.

It does not matter much anyway as Windows itself has the ability to
read zip files (in all newer Windows versions).

Arne