two languages on jsp-page

Karol Strugala

Hello,
This is my first post on this newsgroup, so please, be patient. :)
I have quite simple JSP-page. User, who will be using it, should be able
to change the language from, for example, english to polish. I mean,
articles, titles, menus etc. I thought xml would do what I want. :)
But for now, I have no idea, how to do it. Maybe, there is a simpler
solution? Do you understand, what the problem is? :) Sorry for my bad
english...
Karolski

Ashmodai

Karol Strugala scribbled something along the lines of:
Hello,
This is my first post on this newsgroup, so please, be patient. :)

Sure. I just started today as well.
I have quite simple JSP-page. User, who will be using it, should be able
to change the language from, for example, english to polish. I mean,
articles, titles, menus etc. I thought xml would do what I want. :)

XML is not the entire solution, although the solution may involve XML.
XML is a means of storing data and you have to use parsers or processors
which convert the raw source code to single strings and values. Most
server side scripting and programming languages provide interfaces to do
this. XML itself does nothing, it's just data, like a database.
But for now, I have no idea, how to do it. Maybe, there is a simpler
solution? Do you understand, what the problem is?

Localisation (L10n) / Internationalisation (I18n) is a programming
issue. You need to store the localised data in files or databases in
order to access them. XML is one way to store that data, although XML
can cause a loss of performance with some server side technologies when
compared to databases like MySQL or Postgre SQL or even plain text files.

You'll want to learn more about internationalisation and localisation
before deciding what media you should choose to store your localised
data in (plain text files have proven to be among the best choices when
you only have to deal with a smaller project / website, tho).
Maybe try reading a little on the subject and search for a few tutorials
on these issues dealt with using JSP (maybe even try a related
newsgroup, message board, mailing list or IRC channel).
:) Sorry for my bad english...

Your English is okay. I'm German tho, so maybe I'm not exactly an
authority for that.