Two newby's questions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Marcello Pietrobon, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    python really looks a great language.

    I wish C++ would have some of them !

    Here the questions

    1)
    I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
    comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
    Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
    http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
    does not work ?

    2)
    Is there a place where there are very small code snippets so a person
    can quicly use and learn Python ?

    3)
    Under http://py.vaults.ca
    I found code under GPL license so I don't know if I can use some lines
    of code extracted from code I've found over there, for other open source
    code.

    Marcello

    Marcello Pietrobon, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Marcello Pietrobon

    Larry Bates Guest

    For many examples take a look at:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/

    Larry

    !

    Larry Bates, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Marcello Pietrobon

    JanC Guest

    Marcello Pietrobon <> schreef:

    > 1)
    > I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
    > comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
    > Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
    > http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
    > does not work ?

    Maybe a problem with the news server you use?
    Try news.individual.net (it requires free registration but is very good)

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Marcello Pietrobon <>
    wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:35:48 -0500:
    > python really looks a great language.
    > I wish C++ would have some of them !
    > Here the questions
    > 1)
    > I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
    > comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
    > Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
    > http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
    > does not work ?

    You should read the USENET FAQs to learn the difference between a
    newsgroup and a server. In short: comp.lang.python is a newsgroup. It
    is not a server, it's just a bunch of articles that are passed around
    between news servers. Your ISP probably has a news server that carries
    comp.lang.python.

    <http://www.uselesspython.com/>

    > 3)
    > Under http://py.vaults.ca
    > I found code under GPL license so I don't know if I can use some lines
    > of code extracted from code I've found over there, for other open source
    > code.

    Only for other GPL code; once you use any GPL code in your project, it
    must be released under GPL. Not to start that flamewar again, but
    that's why the GPL is called a virus, and why you should avoid touching
    code that is only released under the GPL. True open source licenses
    like BSD, MIT, Apache, and Python's own license allow code to be reused
    for any purpose. At most you might have to acknowledge credit, which
    decent people should do anyway.

    "Doing the impossible makes us mighty." -Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

    Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes, Mar 4, 2004