Two problems...e-mail sending and DSN

Stephajn Craig

It's been a while since I posted here, but here goes.

Our server is a Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 3, IIS 5 with Lockdown
Wizard applied.

My first problem is related to CDONTS.NewMail.
Up until recently, I had no problems sending e-mail with this little
utility. Our current development efforts are moving to .NET so it didn't
matter to us that this is something that won't be supported anymore by MS.
However, while we are in the process of flipping to .NET, this is something
we're still using for the time being.

The problem I'm having is that the e-mail is not getting sent at all! I
don't get any errors or anything like that, and when I look at our IIS 4
relaying SMTP mail server, and then look at our big outgoing mail server, I
can't find the e-mail anywhere in there. It's like it vanishes. Can anyone
give any insights?

Secondly, we have an older Access based training application that again, up
until recently was working just fine. I don't know if the IIS lockdown
wizard did something I'm not aware of, but now on the line in the ASP file
where the server goes to open the database using the DSN, I get an
"Unspecified Error"

I checked www.aspfaq.com and found the article about this and tried all of
the tricks mentioned there for this error message. Granting the
IUSR_machinename account read/write access toe the TEMP directory got me
further into the file, but it didn't get me far enough to finish it because
later on in the file, when the server goes to open another connectio nthe
the database, I get he same problem. I cannot modify the source code on
this page without killing our support contract or warranty on the product.
Can anyone give me any thoughts on this one?

The two seem totally unrelated, and yet when they both pop up like this at
the same time, it makes me a little suspicious that IIS's lockdown might
have had something to do with this, but I cna't be sure. Since they're both
ASP related, I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks for any pointers in advance,

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

http://www.aspfaq.com/2268

Stop using a DSN. www.aspfaq.com/2126
the database, I get he same problem. I cannot modify the source code on
this page without killing our support contract or warranty on the product.

You can't modify it temporarily in order to narrow down the problem???