Two problems...e-mail sending and DSN

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stephajn Craig, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. It's been a while since I posted here, but here goes.

    Our server is a Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 3, IIS 5 with Lockdown
    Wizard applied.

    My first problem is related to CDONTS.NewMail.
    Up until recently, I had no problems sending e-mail with this little
    utility. Our current development efforts are moving to .NET so it didn't
    matter to us that this is something that won't be supported anymore by MS.
    However, while we are in the process of flipping to .NET, this is something
    we're still using for the time being.

    The problem I'm having is that the e-mail is not getting sent at all! I
    don't get any errors or anything like that, and when I look at our IIS 4
    relaying SMTP mail server, and then look at our big outgoing mail server, I
    can't find the e-mail anywhere in there. It's like it vanishes. Can anyone
    give any insights?

    Secondly, we have an older Access based training application that again, up
    until recently was working just fine. I don't know if the IIS lockdown
    wizard did something I'm not aware of, but now on the line in the ASP file
    where the server goes to open the database using the DSN, I get an
    "Unspecified Error"

    I checked www.aspfaq.com and found the article about this and tried all of
    the tricks mentioned there for this error message. Granting the
    IUSR_machinename account read/write access toe the TEMP directory got me
    further into the file, but it didn't get me far enough to finish it because
    later on in the file, when the server goes to open another connectio nthe
    the database, I get he same problem. I cannot modify the source code on
    this page without killing our support contract or warranty on the product.
    Can anyone give me any thoughts on this one?

    The two seem totally unrelated, and yet when they both pop up like this at
    the same time, it makes me a little suspicious that IIS's lockdown might
    have had something to do with this, but I cna't be sure. Since they're both
    ASP related, I thought I'd try here first.

    Thanks for any pointers in advance,

    --
    Stephajn Craig
    Stephajn Craig, Jul 16, 2003

  2. > relaying SMTP mail server, and then look at our big outgoing mail server,

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2268

    Stop using a DSN. www.aspfaq.com/2126

    > the database, I get he same problem. I cannot modify the source code on
    > this page without killing our support contract or warranty on the product.

    You can't modify it temporarily in order to narrow down the problem???
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Jul 16, 2003