    I can add a reference in P1 to P2's dll, but that appears to copy the dll to P1's bin directory, and it will never be updated upon a rebuild. I've tried setting the "Project Dependencies" of P1 to depend on P2, but without the reference set, I'll get compile errors that it can't find P2 objects. Also in P1 project properties, under common properties, the "reference path" has both projects bin directories.

    Am I missing something here? What must I do to get two projects to compile together under one solution?

    --Michael
    Raterus, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Raterus

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    how did you set the reference? By project, to the dll directly?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    "Raterus" <raterus@localhost> wrote in message

    I've got a Visual Studio solution that contains two projects, P1 is my main
    application, P2 is a project that contains custom server controls I've
    created. I would like to have these Projects set up in Visual studio so if
    I make a change to P2 and recompile, P1 will automatically be updated to use
    the new assembly.

    Here is what I've tried:

    Curt_C [MVP], Apr 15, 2004

  3. Raterus

    Raterus Guest

    That's all you needed to say :) I realized immediately that I was browsing to the dll, not clicking the project tab and selecting it there. Works great now, thanks!

    Any "down to earth" help out there, besides what Microsoft puts out, that goes in detail about larger solutions like this? My ultimate goal is to ensure I don't have the exact same source files in two different projects, requiring me to make changes more than once.

    Thanks again,
    --Michael

    Raterus, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Raterus

    Rick Spiewak Guest

    You can extrapolate what you just did to larger solutions. For example, a
    current solution has 4 projects. One is just to hold the business objects.
    To make cross-referencing easier, consider setting the root namespaces of
    the related projects to be the same. Remember that namespace names are
    case-sensitive (even for us VB types <g>).

    I worked with a group on a solution with 26 projects! It was fine.

    Rick Spiewak, Apr 23, 2004