Two quick questions about my band-related website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Geoff Hague, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Geoff Hague

    Geoff Hague Guest

    Hey everyone!

    First thing's first:
    My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/
    Style-sheet:
    http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/ModernRepublic.css

    My questions are:

    1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all the
    excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom of
    the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?

    2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page. Each of
    the links is enclosed within a <span> tag, set to a fixed width of 80px.
    What's currently happening when the mouse is hovered over a link is that the
    text changes color from white to black, and the background color switches on
    to white. The problem is that the background color only turns to white for
    the width of the text in the link. Is there any way to make the entire
    width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse hovers
    over the link?

    Thanks very much!
    ~Geoff
    Geoff Hague, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Geoff Hague

    Els Guest

    Geoff Hague wrote:

    > Hey everyone!
    >
    > First thing's first:
    > My website:
    > http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/
    > Style-sheet:
    > http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/ModernRepub
    > lic.css
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to
    > remove all the excess space between the bottom of the
    > "Submit" button, and the bottom of the yellow Mailing List
    > box. Any suggestions?

    form{margin-bottom:0px;}

    > 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of
    > the page. Each of the links is enclosed within a <span>
    > tag, set to a fixed width of 80px. What's currently
    > happening when the mouse is hovered over a link is that the
    > text changes color from white to black, and the background
    > color switches on to white. The problem is that the
    > background color only turns to white for the width of the
    > text in the link. Is there any way to make the entire
    > width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when
    > the mouse hovers over the link?

    Try display:block on the <a> element.
    Not sure, haven't tested.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Geoff Hague

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:39:37 GMT, Geoff Hague
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/

    > 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all the
    > excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom of
    > the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?

    Try

    form { padding-bottom: 0; }

    Should reduce it, but I'd say you'll have to take it out of the table to
    get rid of _all_ the space.

    > 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page. Each of

    <snip>
    > Is there any way to make the entire
    > width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse hovers
    > over the link?

    span:hover { background-color: white; }

    Not supported by IE. Why are they in a span, anyway? Why not just style
    the <a>?

    E.g.

    #navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
    background-color: black; }

    #navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }

    Not tested, but should do basically what you want.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Geoff Hague

    Geoff Hague Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:39:37 GMT, Geoff Hague
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/

    > > 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all

    the
    > > excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom

    of
    > > the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?

    > Try
    >
    > form { padding-bottom: 0; }
    >
    > Should reduce it, but I'd say you'll have to take it out of the table to
    > get rid of _all_ the space.
    >
    > > 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page.

    Each of
    > <snip>
    > > Is there any way to make the entire
    > > width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse

    hovers
    > > over the link?

    > span:hover { background-color: white; }
    >
    > Not supported by IE. Why are they in a span, anyway? Why not just style
    > the <a>?
    >
    > E.g.
    >
    > #navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
    > background-color: black; }
    >
    > #navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }
    >
    > Not tested, but should do basically what you want.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell
    > http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    > "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004

    Thanks! Got everything working now.. (heh, this is a GREAT newsgroup!)
    ~Geoff
    Geoff Hague, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Geoff Hague

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:26:57 GMT, Geoff Hague <>
    wrote:

    > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    >> #navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
    >> background-color: black; }
    >>
    >> #navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }
    >>
    >> Not tested, but should do basically what you want.
    >>

    > Thanks! Got everything working now.. (heh, this is a GREAT newsgroup!)

    Sure is. Learn to trim a bit, and it'll be relly great!
    Neal, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Geoff Hague

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:02:55 -0400, Neal <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > it'll be relly great!

    Yep, tell your family too! (SCNR)

    Mark Parnell, Jul 15, 2004