Two quick questions about Perl6

Michele Dondi

I've been reading the first few chapters of "Perl6 Essentials" and I
have two quick (generic) questions:

(1) Don't you think that whereas the new language will indeed be more
consistent and robust, it will also be *slightly* less magic?

(2) Perl is known for being inspired from a mixture of many other
languages/programs. It seems evident that the new OO features of Perl6
resemble a lot those of some widely used OO languages, but are there
any other languages that specifically influenced some choices about
its syntax and semantic?

Michele

Uri Guttman

MD> (1) Don't you think that whereas the new language will indeed be more
MD> consistent and robust, it will also be *slightly* less magic?

not really. it is still perl in many ways. read the apocalypses,
exegesis and synopses on dev.perl.org. that book was out of date the
moment the trees were felled. :) the running joke on the perl6 lists is
what changes/flip-flops did larry make this week!

MD> (2) Perl is known for being inspired from a mixture of many other
MD> languages/programs. It seems evident that the new OO features of
MD> Perl6 resemble a lot those of some widely used OO languages, but
MD> are there any other languages that specifically influenced some
MD> choices about its syntax and semantic?

if you read those docs and some of the mail threads and if you dare to
read the rfc's, you will get a partial answer to that question. perl6 is
blatantly stealing/borrowing from anyone who has an interesting idea
that can be worked into a perlish way. in fact the concept of roles in
OO is better than any of the popular OO langs as it can support many of
their needs in a more elegant and integrated way.

perl6 will be one of the most publicly designed systems in history IMO.

uri

Michele Dondi

MD> (1) Don't you think that whereas the new language will indeed be more
MD> consistent and robust, it will also be *slightly* less magic?

not really. it is still perl in many ways. read the apocalypses,

I didn't want to contend that. I also share the *feeling* that it is
still perl in many ways.

BTW: this is the reason why I wrote "*slightly*"!
exegesis and synopses on dev.perl.org. that book was out of date the
moment the trees were felled. :) the running joke on the perl6 lists is

I'm well aware about this and IIRC it's clearly stated in the book
itself. May this be a good reason why I read it *at* the bookshop? :)
what changes/flip-flops did larry make this week!

MD> (2) Perl is known for being inspired from a mixture of many other
MD> languages/programs. It seems evident that the new OO features of
MD> Perl6 resemble a lot those of some widely used OO languages, but
MD> are there any other languages that specifically influenced some
MD> choices about its syntax and semantic?

if you read those docs and some of the mail threads and if you dare to
read the rfc's, you will get a partial answer to that question. perl6 is

Huh! I don't think I'll dare... I was just curious...
blatantly stealing/borrowing from anyone who has an interesting idea
that can be worked into a perlish way. in fact the concept of roles in
OO is better than any of the popular OO langs as it can support many of

Hmmm, maybe just because I read the book at the bookshop (but ?
haven't finished it yet) I can't remember any discussion about
"roles": is it a Perl-specific technical term or a generic OO one? I'm
admittedly no expert in either, but I can't remember having ever read
that term...
their needs in a more elegant and integrated way.

perl6 will be one of the most publicly designed systems in history IMO.

Well, after all, if only I had a *truly* interesting idea I'd like to
contribute it... which are the recommended resources (e.g. MLs, NGs)
especially intended for a not-too thechnically versed audience? (i.e.
more oriented at informal discussions.)

Michele

Uri Guttman

MD> On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:43:09 GMT, Uri Guttman <[email protected]>
MD> wrote:

MD> Well, after all, if only I had a *truly* interesting idea I'd like to
MD> contribute it... which are the recommended resources (e.g. MLs, NGs)
MD> especially intended for a not-too thechnically versed audience? (i.e.
MD> more oriented at informal discussions.)

well, that was probably in the rfc phase of 3 years ago. since then it
has become a viable meritocracy with a small cabal of language designers
and a larger mass of helpers. the language list is the only place where
there is any activity and many lurk there i am sure. it is a friendly
list and if you ask intelligent questions or offer suggestions you will
likely get answers. but things are very far along and not many new ideas
are forthcoming in general. p6 is not complete but the greater picture
is very developed. the best sources for p6 are the A/E/S docs as i have
said. A12 is the latest and is on objects and a mindblower. roles are
covered there and it is the first time i ever properly grokked the
concept after months of reading about it and related stuff on the
list. there is a 'traits paper' referred to often and it covers all the
OO stuff from an academic view. much of p6's higher level OO stuff is
influenced by that paper.

uri