.txt on README?

Trans

I'm curious about use the .txt extension on README. I know Hoe does
this. Why? Is this just to make it easier for Windows developers? Or
is there some other reason?

T.

Morton Goldberg

I'm curious about use the .txt extension on README. I know Hoe does
this. Why? Is this just to make it easier for Windows developers? Or
is there some other reason?

Not just Windows. The Mac OS X Finder recognizes the txt extension.

Regards, Morton

Konrad Meyer

--nextPart1341246.rMZZlnAgT9

Quoth Morton Goldberg:
On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Trans wrote:
=20
=20
Not just Windows. The Mac OS X Finder recognizes the txt extension.
=20
Regards, Morton

Surely It's not just about recognition? Linux graphical file-explorers=20
(Nautilus, Konqueror, etc) recognise the '.txt' extension, but it isn't=20
required.

Regards,
=2D-=20
Konrad Meyer <[email protected]> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

--nextPart1341246.rMZZlnAgT9

--nextPart1341246.rMZZlnAgT9--

Tim Pease

I'm curious about use the .txt extension on README. I know Hoe does
this. Why? Is this just to make it easier for Windows developers? Or
is there some other reason?

Hoe is using regexp patterns to select files to include in the gem.
One of those patterns includes all files with a .txt extension.
Putting .txt onto the end of the README is easier than creating a
special regexp case for all files like README, History, Manifest, etc.

This falls under the "sloth" rule from Larry Wall.

Blessings,
TwP

Trans

Hoe is using regexp patterns to select files to include in the gem.
One of those patterns includes all files with a .txt extension.
Putting .txt onto the end of the README is easier than creating a
special regexp case for all files like README, History, Manifest, etc.

This falls under the "sloth" rule from Larry Wall.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. I just wanted to makes sure I wasn't
missing any crucial aspect of cross-platform support b/c of it. If
it's just a Hoe "slothy" thing, then I think I'm okay. I just use [A-
Z]*, and have a config option for any special exclusions.

Thanks,
T.