Type 'ADODB.Connection' is not defined.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Befumo, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. Joe Befumo

    Joe Befumo Guest

    I'm getting the following error in my application:

    Compiler Error Message: BC30002: Type 'ADODB.Connection' is not defined.

    Source Error:

    Line 112: if(Request.Form("HdnQuestionCount") = 0) thenLine 113:Line 114:
    Dim objDataConn as ADODB.ConnectionLine 115: Dim objRSList as
    ADODB.RecordSetLine 116: dim iRecordCount as integer

    I've tried running gacutil.exe /I adodb, but get the following error:

    Failure adding assembly to the cache: The system cannot find the file
    specified.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe Befumo, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Joe,
    "ADODB.Connection" is classic ADO which you would normally use only with
    classic ASP and VBScript. Is there any particular reason why you need to do
    this instead of using the ADO.NET managed providers?

    Is this some sort of a converted project from Classic ASP?

    Peter
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Joe Befumo

    sloan Guest

    Joe,

    While it may not make supersense this moment, ADODB has been utterly
    abandoned in DotNet.

    The only time one might use them, is to talk to some legacy code.

    The "new kids on the block" are the
    DataSet
    IDataReader

    Do a google for DataSet IDataReader ADODB and read up.
    Here is a decent one.

    http://www.simple-talk.com/2005/06/10/adonet-data-access/

    sloan, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Joe Befumo

    Joe Befumo Guest

    Yeah, it was. I ultimately got it working, then learned about the better way
    of doing things in Dot.Net, so I converted, successfully. Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe Befumo, Feb 19, 2006