Type cast indicated in xsd schema? (newbie question)

christian.eickhoff

Hello Everbody,

currently my task is to implement a certain codec for XML files even
though I am a newbie in XML. In that sense I have to determine certain
codewords to different datatypes. My question is now of a more general
fashion but I need to be sure about this in order to not code anything
foolish.
In XML, it is generally possible to explicitly state the type of an
element within the xml instance by using the "xsi:type" attribute. My
question is now how this kind of type casting is indicated within the
xsd schema file? There has to be a tag or something that lists me the
alternative element types for the according base type. When i review
some code examples I thought it might be the tag <extention base="">
but I am not sure about it? The problem is that I need to figure out
whether a type cast in the xml file is possible by just using the xsd
schema file . I hope somebody can guide me on the right track.

Thanks in advance for any response!

Christian