Type inference, lessons learned from Vyper

Dave Benjamin

Hey all,

I came across a fascinating thread on the Caml mailing list this morning.
It's about writing an interpreter for Python that can do type inference, and
John Skaller shares a lot of his experiences with the Vyper project:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/4f65d0484529848e/

As you may recall, Vyper was an implementation of Python written in OCaml.
The source code has apparently gone to bit-heaven, but Skaller's analysis
gives some illuminating insight into the kinds of problems we might run into
if Python is to become more statically verifiable.