Type sizs on Mac and PC

SpaceGirl

Toby A Inkster said:
Why not?

And can I count FreeBSD? OpenBSD? NetBSD? What about BeOS? And FreeDOS?
And how about AtheOS?

None of them have the widely support "shell" that Windows have, the
applications to run on it, the features that Windows offered. I'm sure they
could given the money that MS pours into Windows, but sadly this isn't the
case.

SpaceGirl

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven named SpaceGirl:

That question doesn't make sense. Handicap who? The 15% who use a
different browser? The 4/5 of the 85% who have good vision?

If you set your font sizes in percentages, everyone is happy. And if
your design falls apart, it is flawed.

Books are apples and web pages are oranges. Why would you want to
imply that a web page equals a book/magazine/newspaper? Aside from the
fact that they all serve content, there is no similarity.

Just another information storage device. ?:p

SpaceGirl

Jay said:
What happens when the average or majority changes? Before the 800x600 the
majority was 640x480. When the new majority is 1280x1024 are you going to
redesign? What a waste. Just do it right the first time.

- J

A site doesn't stop working when someone uses higher resolution, so what
does it matter?

Leif K-Brooks

SpaceGirl said:
I wish. Clients tend to want pixel perfect. And they are the ones paying for
the designs in the first place.

If life were a shell script:

rm -rf ~SpaceGirl/clients/*

Mark Parnell

then they are also going to have trouble reading the little yellow alt tags,

The alt *attribute* is an *alternative* to an image, to be displayed if
the image can't be. Of course IE gets this wrong again and shows it as a
tooltip, which I assume is what you are talking about.

Mark Parnell

I know this condemns me to W3C hell, but I agree. If people need glasses to
read they SHOULD BE WEARING THEM whenever they're reading. If they can't
read even with glasses, chances are they're listening to your site rather
than reading it anyway.

That's an extremely narrow view of visual impairment. I wear glasses
(and yes, I have them on), but what makes you think I would rather
listen to a site than read it for myself[1]? So I need the font size a
bit bigger than you may. Big deal. The web is able to cope with that.

[1] Besides the fact that I'm at work, so I don't have speakers, and it
wouldn't exactly be appropriate even if I did.

SpaceGirl

Mark Parnell said:
tags,

The alt *attribute* is an *alternative* to an image, to be displayed if
the image can't be. Of course IE gets this wrong again and shows it as a
tooltip, which I assume is what you are talking about.

okay, bad example. how about the TITLE attribute?

SpaceGirl

Mark Parnell said:
But it may stop being readable. Surely that matters?

Yes, but by the time significant people have moved to that sort of
resolution, surely the site will have been updated too? These things don't
happen over night you know. Any good web site is regularly updated and
improved anyway.

Toby A Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
None of them have the widely support "shell" that Windows have,
the applications to run on it, the features that Windows offered.

And Windows doesn't have most of the common Linux features upon which I
rely: virtual consoles, multiple graphical workspaces, nested logins.

So I say "you can't count Windows!"

SpaceGirl

Toby A Inkster said:
And Windows doesn't have most of the common Linux features upon which I
rely: virtual consoles, multiple graphical workspaces, nested logins.

So I say "you can't count Windows!"

You're not an average user. An average user plays games, checks their email
and surfs the net. The average office worker has different needs again, most
of which aren't addressed by linux. dont get me wrong, linux is great it
you're a techie, but as an actual day to day working platform it's not ready
yet.

Luna

Leif K-Brooks said:
No it won't. Not everyone uses the same screen resolution, or size. Just
stop worrying that it looks different.

I meant, the same size relative to the other elements. I believe the OP
was complaining about how the larger font size messed up the tables, and if
your tables are a pixel size and your font is a pixel size, then it won't.