TypeConverter for a generics list

Imar Spaanjaars

Hello everyone,

I am trying to write a TypeConverter for a property of type StringCollection
or List<string> that I want to persist as a comma separated value. E.g. in
markup I want to be able to use this:

<isp:SomeControl Value="1,2,3" runat="server" ID=MyControl" />

While in code, I want to be able to use something like:

MyControl.Value.Add(1);

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this? I looked at
the StringArrayConverter in the WebControls namespace which seems close to
what I want to accomplish.

I tried different flavors of code involving ITypeDescriptorContext, various
CanConvert* methods etc but none seem to work so far. I either get no
results, or I get run-time errors.

In case anyone wants to give this a try, here's the code for the actual
control with the StringCollection property and the converter:

(Converter)
http://imar.spaanjaars.com/Downloads/Other/ServerControls/StringCollectionTypeConverter.txt

(Control)
http://imar.spaanjaars.com/Downloads/Other/ServerControls/ModuleSettings.txt