Typed Datasets and ObjectDataSource - clever solution to the scalarparameters problem?

JimLad

Hi,

VS2008

We've got a CRUD app of about 300 pages with very little business
logic. As such we intend to mostly use typed datasets with a few
custom objects thrown in. Will be using Gridview, Detailsview,
Formview, Listview etc on the UI.

We need to connect the datasets to the UI through the BLL. Everyone
seems to use ObjectDataSource for this. The very obvious limitation of
this is that data modifications have to pass values as scalar
parameters, rather than as typed datarows. This seems pretty horrible
to me and I am no OO purist!

So my real question is what did Microsoft intend us to do in this
situation and what do people do in this situation. Passing scalar
values through the BLL is so completely horrible!

I know this is old news, but I haven't seen a decent solution/
workaround!

Cheers,

James

[...]

Anyone?

Patrice

Hi,

Hoping someone more familiar with this will help...

I've never been a big fan of typed datasets but if I remember you can choose
the Update style either by providing parameters for each value (is this what
you are talking about ?) or by providing a single object. See :
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/objectdatasource.aspx

Can't you do that with typed datasets ?

For now I'm using Linq but DynamicData could be perhaps also helpfull
(http://www.asp.net/(S(ywiyuluxr3qb2dfva1z5lgeg))/DynamicData/). Note that
thought it builds your site from the schema, you can still create and
personnalize all this i.e what you get out of the box is just the default,
you are still free to customiez the result at will...

--
Patrice

"JimLad" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
[...]

Anyone?- Hide quoted text -

Hi Patrice,

Thanks - I'm aware of that - the problem is that ObjectDataSource
can't use a Typed Dataset Row as there is no parameterless
constructor.

Most of our code is in stored procs at the moment and there are a lot
of joins etc. Rewriting everything in LINQ (we are all very good TSQL
coders) doesn't seem very appealing.

Anyone else got any other thoughts on the original question?

Cheers,

James