typeof(this.opener.top) returns "uknown"

Irakl Gordin

this.opener is not null but everything inside it is "uknown". How should
I interpret it?

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Irakl Gordin said:
this.opener is not null but everything inside it is "uknown". How should
I interpret it?

Hard to say. I guess you are using IE, and has opened a new window.

Is the page in the new window in another domain than the opener?
In that case, it could be the security setting that is preventing
cross domain scripting.

/L

Irakl Gordin

Sorry, my bad. Yes, I am using IE and I'm opening a new window. From
that new window I try to access 'opener.top'. It's still in development
so everything is on my HD so it can not be a cross-domain security.
Javascript docs that I have do not even list "unknown" as a possible
return value.

Irakl Gordin

Sorry, my bad. Yes, I am using IE and I'm opening a new window. From
that new window I try to access 'opener.top'. It's still in development
so everything is on my HD so it can not be a cross-domain security.
Javascript docs that I have do not even list "unknown" as a possible
return value. Thank you for pointing lack of information in my message.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Irakl said:
this.opener is not null but everything inside it is "uknown". How should
I interpret it?

What is this "everything" you are referring
to and how have you attempted to access it?

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

this.opener does not necessarily refer to the same object as
window.opener/self.opener does. `this' in an intrinsic event
handler attribute value refers to the the object that triggered
the event, in a method it refers to the calling object.
Sorry, my bad. Yes, I am using IE

Which version on which platform?
and I'm opening a new window. From that new window I try to access
'opener.top'.

If this.opener is not null, is it undefined? Try the typeof operator,
then try window.opener or self.opener.

PointedEars

P.S.
Please quote required parts of the disscussion so that the reader does
not lose context. I have re-included one quotation level here.
I suggest you do not use Web forums to post to Usenet as almost all of
them are flawed.

Irakl Gordin

I removed irrelevant code from this sample

if (typeof(this.opener) != "undefined")
{
if (this.opener != null)
{
if (typeof (this.opener.top) == "unknown")
{
alert("always fires on certain machines");

typeof on all variables defined within opener also returns "unknown".

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Irakl said:
I removed irrelevant code from this sample

if (typeof(this.opener) != "undefined")
{
if (this.opener != null)
{
if (typeof (this.opener.top) == "unknown")
{
alert("always fires on certain machines");

typeof on all variables defined within opener also returns "unknown".

That does not help a bit. In which context are you using
the `this' reference and what about the rest of my posting?

PointedEars