    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Is <br/> really non XHTML-compliant? Visual Studio .NET might try to create
    didn't think getting rid of the space before the / was breaking the rules of
    XHTML. Is it?

    Nathan Sokalski, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Martin Milan Guest

    "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in

    > I often use self-closing tags (such as <br/>) when creating an ASP.NET
    > application. However, when I enter them in Visual Studio .NET 2005, it
    > automatically inserts a space before the />. In most cases this does
    > not bother me, but for tags such as <br/> that I usually do not use
    > any attributes with I prefer not to have the extra space. I there a
    > way to prevent Visual Studio .NET 2005 from inserting the extra space
    > before the /> at the end of the tag? Thanks.

    You wouldn't want to do this. It is merely following the XHTML
    standards.

    Martin
    Martin Milan, Dec 30, 2006
  4. "Nathan Sokalski" <> schrieb:
    > Is <br/> really non XHTML-compliant?

    No, it is valid XHTML.

    --
    M S Herfried K. Wagner
    M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Dec 30, 2006
  5. > You wouldn't want to do this. It is merely following the XHTML
    > standards.

    Umm...

    According to the W3C Markup Validation Service http://validator.w3.org/ both

    Remember the w3.org is the group that defines the standard.

    --
    Hope this helps
    Jay B. Harlow

    Jay B. Harlow, Dec 30, 2006
  6. > Do you *really* want your code to be non XHTML-compliant and non
    > cross-browser compatible...?
    > http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/xhtml_howto.asp

    Unfortunately w3shcools.com is *not* the authority on internet standards.

    Remember that http://www.w3.org is the group that defines the standard. I
    would rely on w3.org for the authority on internet standards. Then rely on
    other groups, such as w3shcools.com, for quirks (pun intended) that specific
    browsers exhibit.

    According to the W3C Markup Validation Service http://validator.w3.org/ both

    In fact the XHTML 1.0 Recommendation uses <br/> (no space) in their
    examples! (heading 4.6 Empty Elements)

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

    Further depending on how old the howto page is, it may be totally
    immaterial! What percentage of users, of the OP's web site, actually use
    Netscape. What percentage of their users, use a version of Netscape that
    exhibits the problem.

    Jay B. Harlow, Dec 30, 2006
  7. Nathan,
    As Herfried suggests <br/> is valid XHTML.

    I normally use the W3C Markup Validation Service http://validator.w3.org/ to
    verify compliant XHTML.

    Jay B. Harlow, Dec 30, 2006
  8. Jay,

    "Jay B. Harlow" <> schrieb:
    > I normally use the W3C Markup Validation Service http://validator.w3.org/
    > to verify compliant XHTML.

    I prefer Christoph Schneegans' validator because it provides more accurate
    results (it validates against XML schemas):

    XML Schema Validator
    <URL:http://schneegans.de/sv/>

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Dec 30, 2006
  9. Thanks for the link, I've saved a copy for future reference.

    Jay B. Harlow, Dec 30, 2006