UA's to ignore bad web designers?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Els, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. Els

    Els Guest

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#x38

    <quote>
    User agents are not required to reflow a currently displayed document
    due to pseudo-class transitions. For instance, a style sheet may
    specify that the 'font-size' of an :active link should be larger than
    that of an inactive link, but since this may cause letters to change
    position when the reader selects the link, a UA may ignore the
    corresponding style rule.
    </quote>

    Sounds to me like UA's are allowed to discard any rules from bad
    webdesigners because they're bad ideas. Means that even if I have
    catered for the page to remain balanced whilst giving a larger font on
    hover or active, the UA may just ignore this style rule because other
    designers fail to recognize the issue :S

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Els

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when Els <>
    wrote:

    [W3C]
    > >User agents are not required to reflow a currently displayed document
    > >due to pseudo-class transitions.

    >Sounds to me like UA's are allowed to discard any rules from bad
    >webdesigners because they're bad ideas.

    No, that's not what it says at all. It says they don't need to
    _reflow_ a document owing to _transitions_ arising from pseudo
    classes. In practice this means a:hover.

    Note the use of "reflow". They're not talking about ignoring them when
    the page is first drawn, but only if it changes during viewing.

    Your point that "UA's might ignore dumb things" is a worthy issue to
    raise (maybe a UA will change text colours if they're otherwise
    invisible - some limited colour displays already do this). But it's
    not supported by the W3C's statement that you quoted.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Els

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Els wrote:

    > User agents are not required to reflow a currently displayed document
    > due to pseudo-class transitions.

    For a demonstration of this, try:

    a:hover { font-size: bigger; font-weight: bolder; }

    in Opera 6.x.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2005