ubuntu tcltklib absolute beginner question

gigaday

I'm trying to start from absolute basics. I have ruby 1.8 installed
and working and want to have a look at the Tk interface.

I get the following:-

irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
RuntimeError: tcltklib: fail to Tk_Init(). this isn't a Tk
applicationunknown color name "Black"
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102:in `initialize'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Any ideas please?

Tony

gigaday

Paul said:
Your system doesn't have the Ruby Tk library installed. Have you considered
upgrading to the current Ruby version? This might solve the problem. Or you
could try to find and install the tk library.

FWIW, the missing library is named "ruby-tcltk -(version)".

I think that I do have all the required libraries installed. Someone
from the tcl/tk team reckons I need a version upgrade, I'll try this.

Thanks for your help.

Tony