    to simulate this connectionless-aspect of UDP?

    Thanks,
    Chris

    ChrisWSU, Nov 6, 2006

  2. ChrisWSU

    Chris Uppal Guest

    ChrisWSU wrote:

    > Was just wondering if anyone knows if there would be any issues with
    > using the SSLEngine with a UDP non-blocking channel. I dont really
    > have anything to test it with lost UDP packets or having the packets
    > arrive out of order, would this cause problems? are there any utilities
    > to simulate this connectionless-aspect of UDP?

    You could try using a TCP session (as a test) and deleting / rearanging blocks
    of data randomly. Perhaps implemented in some sort of intermediary program.

    Personally, I can't see how the encryption (inherently stateful) could possibly
    survive in the face of missing or rearanged blocks, but I'm not an SSL expert.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 6, 2006

  3. ChrisWSU

    EJP Guest

    ChrisWSU wrote:
    > Was just wondering if anyone knows if there would be any issues with
    > using the SSLEngine with a UDP non-blocking channel. I dont really
    > have anything to test it with lost UDP packets or having the packets
    > arrive out of order, would this cause problems? are there any utilities
    > to simulate this connectionless-aspect of UDP?

    As Chris suspected, the SSL encryption algorithms won't survive a
    dropped packet and indeed under a strict interpretation of RFC2246 will
    probably force you to close the connection. You can't implement SSL over
    UDP, you can only implement SSL over a reliable transport. So first you
    need a UDP reliability layer.

    EJP, Nov 7, 2006