    this? Note: The nodes and their relationships are stored in a database, and
    the graphical representation must be created at runtime.

    Thanks!
    Guadala Harry, May 13, 2004

  2. Guadala Harry

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    sounds like a family tree type design. perhaps a search on that may lead to
    what you are after.
    Sounds like 3 tables to me though.
    1) Nodes
    2) Parents (1 to many)
    3) Chidrem (1 to many)

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    "Guadala Harry" <> wrote in message
    > I have a need to display nodes in a hierarchy - an inverted tree of

    sorts -
    > but a bit more complicated than a simple tree or set of inverted trees.

    The
    > nodes I'm dealing with exist in a definite hierarchy, however any given

    node
    > can have more than one parent and can have multiple children (except for

    the
    > top/root nodes). This is different than a tree in that in a tree, any

    given
    > node can have at most one parent.
    >
    > Anyway, I need to display these nodes and their relationships graphically

    on
    > an Web page. I'd appreciate some suggestions for how to accomplish this
    > visual display. I don't think I can use a simple tree/list view (like in
    > Windows Explorer) because in those, any given node can have at most one
    > parent (unless the node is displayed more than once - which I don't want

    > do). I'd be happy just to even have some boxes containing a short bit of
    > text (to represent a node) and some connecting lines - but how to

    accomplish

    Curt_C [MVP], May 13, 2004

  3. I already have the table design hammered out - but how to dislay it all
    graphically in a Web page? I suppose a "brute force" method would involve
    using GDI+ on the server to crank out a diagram that gets saved as a jpg
    that is in turn referenced by an aspx - but that's a lot of work. I was
    hoping for something simpler. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    -G

    Guadala Harry, May 13, 2004
  4. Guadala Harry

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    well, since it's not linear it's a toughie to say. If you limit it to only 1
    node and it's children and parents you could use a double tree setup but
    it's the siblings thing that makes it tough.

    Curt_C [MVP], May 13, 2004