UI design suggestions needed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bosconian, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. Bosconian

    Bosconian Guest

    I'm looking for design suggestions on the most efficient way to go about
    separating a list of items into multiple groups using HTML, JavaScript and
    DHTML.

    A simple example would be a page consisting of two multi-line selects with
    buttons to move items back and forth.

    My page starts with one multi-line select containing a list of items. The
    user needs to have the ability to create any number of groups (i.e.
    multi-line selects) up to the number of items. Each new select dynamically
    appears when added. The user then needs to have the ability to move items
    from the first multi-line select to one of the other multi-line selects.
    When the user is happy with their selections, the whole thing is submitted
    and saved.

    I'm not looking for technical help, but would appreciate any links of
    dynamic examples like the interface described above. If you can think of a
    better method, please tell me.

    Note: If this question is better suited for another discussion group please
    let me know.

    Thanks!
    Bosconian, Apr 29, 2006

  2. Bosconian

    PH Guest

    PH, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Bosconian

    Bosconian Guest

    "PH" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > A simple example would be a page consisting of two multi-line selects

    with
    > > buttons to move items back and forth.

    > Try this one:
    > http://www.mischievous.org/blog/2006/02/20/mochikit.select
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards
    > Peter Heinzl
    > www.123-game.com

    Exactly, only mine needs to dynamically support more than 2.
    Bosconian, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Bosconian

    David Segall Guest

    "Bosconian" <> wrote:

    >My page starts with one multi-line select containing a list of items. The
    >user needs to have the ability to create any number of groups (i.e.
    >multi-line selects) up to the number of items. Each new select dynamically
    >appears when added. The user then needs to have the ability to move items
    >from the first multi-line select to one of the other multi-line selects.
    >When the user is happy with their selections, the whole thing is submitted
    >and saved.
    >
    >If you can think of a better method, please tell me.

    It is not really possible to think of a better method with this
    abstract description. Ideally, the UI will be a comprehensible
    abstraction of what the user is trying to achieve. Perhaps the user
    could be given a method of inserting separators into a single selected
    list to indicate how (s)he wants to group the selections. Maybe a
    suitably labeled tab could be created for each selection where the
    contents of the left hand pane in every tab would be the same. If you
    are willing to implement a drag and drop interface and your lists
    represent physical locations then your proposal may be the best.
    David Segall, May 1, 2006