    me to them.

    Thanking in anticipation.
    kv.
    vaib, Jul 26, 2011

  2. vaib

    Andy Guest

    "vaib" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I am in the process of building a web app targeted at smart phone
    > users. It's a web app so it'll use the browser on the phone.
    >
    > Now there's a problem. I am a web developer at work and I have never
    > developed a web app targeted for mobile phones.
    >
    > I want to know whether there are any tools\emulators which I can
    > download and see how my site would look on the mobile screen. Also, I
    > want to know about some design principles when developing a web app
    > for mobiles. So if you know about any such good resources kindly point
    > me to them.
    >
    > Thanking in anticipation.
    > kv.

    Hi,

    You might find this useful...

    http://cloneforsuccess.com/mobilepagecreator/

    Andy
    Andy, Jul 27, 2011

  3. vaib

    Tom vC Guest

    kv,

    I'm in a similar situation. I have found a couple useful tools for
    simulating smartphones:

    1) To emulate an Android device, get the Android SDK:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

    2) Blackberry offers simulators: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/downloads/simulators/

    3) Unfortunately, you need a Mac in order to simulate the iPhone and
    iPad. I am testing using an iPod Touch, however, since it is cheaper
    than an iPhone and is basically the same thing but without phone
    functionality.

    4) When developing on the desktop (in between testing on the
    smartphone), I use the Google Chrome browser. It is based on WebKit,
    which is the engine for the default browsers on the iPhone and Android
    devices. (Safari is also based on WebKit).

    I don't think anything can beat testing on actual smartphones,
    however. I have found that some things that worked fine on my desktop
    were too slow on the actual phone.

    There are two frameworks that seem to be pretty good for mobile
    browsers. But neither are quite mature yet.

    1) Sensa Touch. It's a pure JavaScript framework. Main drawback (A
    killer for me): it only works with WebKit right now.

    2) jQuery Mobile. It augments existing HTML. But it is still in beta,
    and has some issues.

    Here are some links I have found to be helpful:
    http://labs.thesedays.com/blog/2010/07/16/10-tips-for-designing-mobile-websites/
    http://www.noupe.com/how-tos/tutorials-for-making-your-website-mobile-friendly.html
    http://www.adaptistration.com/blog/...-difference-between-apps-and-mobile-websites/
    http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2075851/avoid-mobile-site-suckage

    Regards,
    Tom vC

    Tom vC, Jul 27, 2011
  4. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Jul 28, 12:08 am, Tom vC <> wrote:
    > kv,
    >
    > I'm in a similar situation.  I have found a couple useful tools for
    > simulating smartphones:
    >
    > 1) To emulate an Android device, get the Android SDK:http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    >
    > 2) Blackberry offers simulators:  http://www.blackberry.com/developers/downloads/simulators/
    >
    > 3) Unfortunately, you need a Mac in order to simulate the iPhone and
    > iPad.  I am testing using an iPod Touch, however, since it is cheaper
    > than an iPhone and is basically the same thing but without phone
    > functionality.
    >
    > 4) When developing on the desktop (in between testing on the
    > smartphone), I use the Google Chrome browser.  It is based on WebKit,
    > which is the engine for the default browsers on the iPhone and Android
    > devices.  (Safari is also based on WebKit).
    >
    > I don't think anything can beat testing on actual smartphones,
    > however.  I have found that some things that worked fine on my desktop
    > were too slow on the actual phone.
    >
    > There are two frameworks that seem to be pretty good for mobile
    > browsers.  But neither are quite mature yet.
    >
    > 1)  Sensa Touch.  It's a pure JavaScript framework.  Main drawback (A
    > killer for me): it only works with WebKit right now.
    >
    > 2) jQuery Mobile. It augments existing HTML.  But it is still in beta,
    > and has some issues.
    >
    > Here are some links I have found to be helpful:http://labs.thesedays.com/blog/2010...ickz/column/2075851/avoid-mobile-site-suckage
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tom vC
    >
    > On Jul 26, 8:07 am, vaib <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hey all,

    > > I am in the process of building a web app targeted at smart phone
    > > users. It's a web app so it'll use the browser on the phone.

    > > Now there's a problem. I am a web developer at work and I have never
    > > developed a web app targeted for mobile phones.

    > > I want to know whether there are any tools\emulators which I can
    > > download and see how my site would look on the mobile screen. Also, I
    > > want to know about some design principles when developing a web app
    > > for mobiles. So if you know about any such good resources kindly point
    > > me to them.

    > > Thanking in anticipation.
    > > kv.

    thanks a lot. that was really helpful :)
    vaib, Aug 27, 2011