ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk - Thanks Looks Better

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DJS2C, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    Hello alt.html

    Hope you are all fine and dandy :)

    Your help and ADG has helped a lot. I have some small formating to do but
    have just realised what I can do with CSS and have been using it :). It is
    now HTML 4.01 & CSS Valid :) Nice.

    One thing I had to strip backgrounds and use CSS but on the 'services' page
    that is a background? And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
    it. Guess im going to have to work bit more.

    Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the site?

    Take It Easy
    James

    first site. www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk
    DJS2C, Dec 5, 2004

  2. DJS2C

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, DJS2C <> said:

    > Hello alt.html

    Morning!

    > Hope you are all fine and dandy :)

    I am, thank you. :)

    > Your help and ADG has helped a lot. I have some small formating to do but
    > have just realised what I can do with CSS and have been using it :). It is
    > now HTML 4.01 & CSS Valid :) Nice.

    Good to hear.

    > One thing I had to strip backgrounds and use CSS

    You haven't specified any sort of background at all.

    > but on the 'services' page
    > that is a background?

    Yes, there is a background image on that page. You should specify a
    background colour too.

    > And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
    > it.

    You mean it's at a different place on each page?

    > Guess im going to have to work bit more.

    A few things I noticed:

    The grey text is hard to read.

    Verdana is not recommended for web use.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    Don't specify font sizes in px or pt - users of IE can't easily resize
    the text if it is too small. Use % (100 of them).

    Don't specify line height, especially in cm. If you want the lines
    spaced out more than normal, use e.g. 1.5em.

    Removing the underline from links is confusing - makes it hard to tell
    whether a particular bit of text is a link or not.

    What's with the source code being all on one line? Makes it very
    difficult to read.

    > Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the site?

    Uh, don't? What benefit are your visitors going to get from them? No one
    who visits your site (outside alt.html anyway) is going to care whether
    it's valid, and if they do, they probably already know how to validate
    it anyway.

    http://www.ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 5, 2004

  3. On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:38:20 +0000, DJS2C wrote:

    > first site. www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

    small tip (and this goes for everyone): please put the whole link in your
    posts, i.e. include "http://". Not every news reader will automatically
    convert stuff beginning with "www." to a link, and it is a pain to cut and
    paste. well, more of a pain, at least.

    Oh, and its ".co.uk" not ".com.uk" Probably just a typo to be sure.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 6, 2004
  4. DJS2C

    Phil Guest

    Sorry to tell you that all I am getting when I click on your link is a "BAD
    GATEWAY" error message..

    Phil, Dec 6, 2004
  5. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    > Yes, there is a background image on that page. You should specify a
    > background colour too.
    >
    > > And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
    > > it.

    > You mean it's at a different place on each page?

    Yes.... Having another go.

    > > Guess im going to have to work bit more.

    > A few things I noticed:
    >
    > The grey text is hard to read.
    >
    > Verdana is not recommended for web use.
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    Not blaming anything but this book for £12 I bought everything so far the
    book has taught me I have been told off for !! LOL It recomends Varanda

    > Don't specify font sizes in px or pt - users of IE can't easily resize
    > the text if it is too small. Use % (100 of them).
    >
    > Don't specify line height, especially in cm. If you want the lines
    > spaced out more than normal, use e.g. 1.5em.
    >
    > Removing the underline from links is confusing - makes it hard to tell
    > whether a particular bit of text is a link or not.
    >
    > What's with the source code being all on one line? Makes it very
    > difficult to read.

    Not sure :( DW i used.

    > > Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the

    site?

    > Uh, don't? What benefit are your visitors going to get from them? No one
    > who visits your site (outside alt.html anyway) is going to care whether
    > it's valid, and if they do, they probably already know how to validate
    > it anyway.

    Yeh I only wanted to put it up as it would impress te person I did the site
    for!

    DJS2C, Dec 6, 2004