Ultimate programmer's reference - Quickref.org launches

Tad McClellan

Robby Walker said:
QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Perl,

Why would we need a website that contains the same information
as what is already available on our hard disks?

Randal L. Schwartz

Tad> Why would we need a website that contains the same information
Tad> as what is already available on our hard disks?

Tad, you clearly don't understand.

** It's AJAX! **

:)

Uri Guttman

Tad> Why would we need a website that contains the same information
Tad> as what is already available on our hard disks?
CM> I've always used Comet myself.

<WAY OFF TOPIC>

"comet will make your mouth turn green,
comet is made with gasoline,
comet will make you vomit so get some comet today"

dunno why that camp/grade school song popped into my brane. sing it to
the tune of the bridge on the river kwai whistle theme.

</WAY OFF TOPIC>

uri

John Bokma

Tad McClellan said:
Why would we need a website that contains the same information
as what is already available on our hard disks?

1) Find free content that nobody has exploited yet
2) put it on your site
3) spam it on digg, Usenet, etc.
4) ????
5) profit

David Squire

John said:
1) Find free content that nobody has exploited yet
2) put it on your site
3) spam it on digg, Usenet, etc.
4) ????
5) profit

Does step 4 involve gnomes?

Robby Walker

Hi Tad,

The ultimate purpose of the site is to make a quicker way to access all
of this information - whether or not you have local copies. Soon I'll
be adding a full CPAN modules list and more to the site. If there's
content you'd like to see posted I'm very open to feedback.

Thanks,
Robby

Robby Walker

However, I have failed to mark it as 'Beta' - thus failing to meet full
Web 2.0 compliance. ;)

John Bokma

Robby Walker said:
However, I have failed to mark it as 'Beta' - thus failing to meet
full Web 2.0 compliance. ;)

Don't worry, your posting behavior can be marked as Alpha, so I guess we
can call it even.

Robby Walker

John,

I honestly believe this is a tool that Perl programmers might find
useful. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize.

- Robby

David Squire

No... that would be a step (6) bank profits with the gnomes of Zurich.

No no :) It's step 4 (well, it should be 2) with the Underpants Gnomes. [1]

DS

[1] Google it :)

Scott Bryce

Robby said:
I honestly believe this is a tool that Perl programmers might find
useful. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize.

It is nothing more than the docs for perlfunc at CPAN in an i-frame on
your site. Why would we find this useful? If we want to search the docs
on line, we can already do so at perldoc.perl.org.

I think what urks people here is that you have taken an on-line resource
that we already have available to us, put it in an i-frame in your site
and are trying to sell it as a new resource. Isn't that dishonest?

Robby Walker

Scott,

The value of the site (to me) is that you can search not only Perl but
also CSS, JavaScript, HTML, and MySQL - languages I often use in
conjunction with Perl. I got tired of opening a browser tab for every
single language I use so I wrote this tool.

Also, from the site: "The content that appears on this site is not
written by quickref.org. This site serves only as a search engine to
some of the best freely available documentation."

I'm not claiming to create new Perl docs - just a place you can get
Perl docs and whatever other docs you need in the same browser tab.

I'm very open to feedback on how to make it more useful.

Thanks,
- Robby

Tad McClellan

Robby Walker said:
Hi Tad,

The ultimate purpose of the site is to make

money from advertising.

a quicker way to access all
of this information -

But a website is NOT quicker than my filesystem!

whether or not you have local copies.

Your website will never be quicker than my filesystem, so whether
or not I have local copies IS germane to the utility of your website.

And we (here in the Perl newsgroup) _all_ have local copies of the
perl docs, they are part of a normal install.

Soon I'll
be adding a full CPAN modules list and more to the site. If there's
content you'd like to see posted I'm very open to feedback.

Spam, multiposting, top-posting and advertising from you. Hmmmm...

I don't feel compelled to visit, given this reputation that you've
built for yourself. Good luck with it though.

[ snip TOFU ]

Dr.Ruud

Uri Guttman schreef:
Chris:

<WAY OFF TOPIC>

"comet will make your mouth turn green,
comet is made with gasoline,
comet will make you vomit so get some comet today"

dunno why that camp/grade school song popped into my brane. sing it to
the tune of the bridge on the river kwai whistle theme.

Aargh, I was waiting for the metro together with Abe, about an hour ago,
after an NL-PM meeting, and I told him a story about car hooters that
played exactly that tune.
(we weren't far from the Ajax-stadium either)

David Squire

Robby said:
Scott,

The value of the site (to me) is that you can search not only Perl but
also CSS, JavaScript, HTML, and MySQL - languages I often use in
conjunction with Perl. I got tired of opening a browser tab for every
single language I use so I wrote this tool.

Also, from the site: "The content that appears on this site is not
written by quickref.org. This site serves only as a search engine to
some of the best freely available documentation."

I'm not claiming to create new Perl docs - just a place you can get
Perl docs and whatever other docs you need in the same browser tab.

I'm very open to feedback on how to make it more useful.

For a start, for God's sake please stop top-posting.

John Bokma

Robby Walker said:
I'm not claiming to create new Perl docs - just a place you can get
Perl docs and whatever other docs you need in the same browser tab.

I'm very open to feedback on how to make it more useful.

How about adding documentation on how to post on Usenet and how not to
(like: don't top post?)

Doesn't it make you wonder that people reply *under* what you write?

Finally, I see you added the adsense. To me you're making money by framing
documentation written by people in their free time for free. This might
piss off people. I would be pissed off if you did it with anything I have
written without my permission.

Scott Bryce

Robby said:
Scott,

The value of the site (to me) is that you can search not only Perl but
also CSS, JavaScript, HTML, and MySQL - languages I often use in
conjunction with Perl. I got tired of opening a browser tab for every
single language I use so I wrote this tool.

This newsgroup is not for the purpose of discussing your site, so we are
straying WAY off topic here. This will be my final post in this thread.

I also use Perl in conjunction with CSS, HTML and MySQL. I have not
found it cumbersome at all to search the docs for each of these in a
separate tab in my browser. In fact, I would think that that would be
easier than using the interface on your site, which does not know which
of several technologies I need information on.

Many people use Perl for purposes other than CGI, and would have no
interest in having a CSS or HTML resource (or PHP, or Ruby, or
Javascript) intertwined with the perl docs.
I'm very open to feedback on how to make it more useful.

I think you have developed a solution in search of a problem to solve.