* Ultra Newbie HTML Question *

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Julia Briggs, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Julia Briggs

    Julia Briggs Guest

    Hello, I have (hopefully for one of you) a fairly un-difficult table
    problem. I am pretty good at HTML, but this one has been bugging me
    out to get working -- so here it goes, hopefully *there* is a
    high-level expert out there who can solve this!

    I have a bunch of stuff wrapped in a table that goes through a
    loop....

    TABLE LOOP>

    Bunch of PHP code, nestested tables, graphics, queries database, etc..

    So the loop runs and runs, and as it is each table stacks on top of
    each other vertically -- as it normally would if you put two tables
    side by side... but I would rather have them literally appear next to
    each other on the screen. Now obviously I know you can't put tables
    explicitly side by side and expect that... so what I would like to do
    is wrap something around this table chunk in order to have them flow
    out to the right -- AND depending on the size of the open browser,
    shuffle them underneath each other as well so all of the available
    screen space is optimized.

    I hope someone out there can give me an approach to get this working
    or my project is going to hell! :()

    Thanks!!!!

    Sincerely,

    Julia Briggs

    Julia Briggs, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Julia Briggs

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Julia Briggs said:

    > So the loop runs and runs, and as it is each table stacks on top of
    > each other vertically -- as it normally would if you put two tables
    > side by side... but I would rather have them literally appear next to
    > each other on the screen.

    table{display:inline;} but browser implementation is a bit dodgy (or non
    existent)

    --
    brucie
    29/November/2003 06:17:23 pm

    brucie, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Julia Briggs

    Spartanicus Guest

    brucie wrote:

    >table{display:inline;}

    Or the correct way: table{display:inline-table}

    >but browser implementation is a bit dodgy (or non existent)

    Indeed, only Opera supports inline-table, which is why a hack is
    required:

    table.inline{display:inline-table}
    ..inline{display:inline}

    A proper UA will use inline-table (Opera), less capable clients
    (Mozilla, IE) will use inline.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Nov 29, 2003