Unable to browse website while downloading a file using a component

Guest

Hello all,

I don't know how to get around this one... If anybody can help me
with this problem, I would appreciate it very much.

I've been trying to send a (large) file to the browser via a download
page that uses a file download component. The file downloads fine,
except that Internet Explorer refuses to browse to a different page
while the file is downloading! I don't understand why it does that
and I don't know how to fix this problem.

Any idea?

I know that MSIE can accept only two download streams at a time, but I
can assure you that it's doing only one thing: downloading a file.

Here's a working version of the download script:

<%
Server.ScriptTimeout = 7200
Response.Buffer = False

Response.ContentType = "application/x-tar"
Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition",
"attachment;FileName=test.tar"

Set oDL = Server.CreateObject("SoftArtisans.FileUp")
oDL.TransferFile "c:\test.tar"
Set oDL = Nothing
%>

Here's more info:

- I'm working under ASP 3.0.
- I've tested this script both with aspSmartUpload and AspFileUp
components and the problem remains the same.
- This problem only seems to occur with Internet Explorer (many
versions, different computers) -- mozilla works fine.
- Since I need to authentify users **under ASP** before accepting the
download, I cannot point directly to the download file instead of
using the download component. (I would also prefer not having to copy
this file to a temporary location where the users can download it and
delete it afterwards.)

I hope somebody here can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance!

- Stephane

Reply here or to (e-mail address removed)