Unable to compile class for JSP

Discussion in 'Java' started by Vidhi Gupta, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Vidhi Gupta

    Vidhi Gupta Guest

    hello,

    i'm using JSP on Tomcat 5.5.15 on WIN 2000 with jdk1.5.0.02 and Oracle
    8i.i've the hierarchy of my project as : -
    TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\testing\ConsLicResult.jsp
    TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\db\DBConnection.java
    TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\bl\ConsLicBl.java

    whenever i'm compiling my ConsLicBl.java, it is generatind the
    following errors as :

    package org.cris.prime.db does not exist and cannot resolve symbol
    class DBConnection

    when i'm executing the ConsLicResult.jsp on localhost the following
    error are coming :-

    Generated servlet error:
    Only a type can be imported. org.cris.prime.bl.ConsLicBl resolves to a
    package

    An error occurred at line: 16 in the jsp file: /ConsLicResult.jsp
    Generated servlet error:
    ConsLicBl cannot be resolved to a type

    An error occurred at line: 16 in the jsp file: /ConsLicResult.jsp
    Generated servlet error:
    ConsLicBl cannot be resolved to a type

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:510)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:375)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)

    root cause

    Generated servlet error:
    Only a type can be imported. org.cris.prime.bl.ConsLicBl resolves to a
    package

    An error occurred at line: 16 in the jsp file: /ConsLicResult.jsp
    Generated servlet error:
    ConsLicBl cannot be resolved to a type

    An error occurred at line: 16 in the jsp file: /ConsLicResult.jsp
    Generated servlet error:
    ConsLicBl cannot be resolved to a type

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:84)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:328)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:409)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:297)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:276)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:264)
    org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:563)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:303)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)

    i'm unable to understand why these problems are coming.
    Note:- i'd imported DBConnection.java in ConsLicBl.java and
    ConsLicBl.java in ConsLicResult.jsp.

    Kindly help.
    Thanks & Regards,

    Vidhi

    Vidhi Gupta, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Vidhi Gupta

    Arnaud B. Guest

    Hi,

    >Only a type can be imported. org.cris.prime.bl.ConsLicBl resolves to a

    package

    Could you show us the import statements of your JSP ?
    It looks like the problem could be there.

    (as if you had declared "import org.cris.prime.bl.ConsLicBl.*; or something
    like this)

    Regards,

    Arnaud

    Arnaud B., Feb 3, 2006

  3. Vidhi Gupta

    Vidhi Gupta Guest

    Hello Arnaud,

    i'm sorry for the late reply.well here's the statement that i'd used in
    my ConsLicResult.jsp :-

    <%@ page import="org.cris.prime.bl.ConsLicBl"%>

    i'd given the whole path as above,but then also it is unable to find
    ConsLicBl.java.why?
    should i send you my code of ConsLicResult.jsp,ConsLicBl.java and
    DBConnection.java.
    as i'd imported DBConnection.java in ConsLicBl.java and finally this
    file in ConsLicResult.jsp.
    i'd done everything to solve this problem.but nothing came out.My
    directory structure is like :-

    C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    5.5\webapps\testing\ConsLic.jsp
    C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    5.5\webapps\testing\ConsLicResult.jsp
    C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    5.5\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\bl\ConsLicBl.java
    C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    5.5\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\db\DBConnection.java

    Problem is coming in ConsLicResult.jsp as it is unable to resolve
    ConsLicBl.java.

    Kindly help.
    Looking forward for your kind reply.
    Thanks & regards,
    Vidhi

    Vidhi Gupta, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Vidhi Gupta

    steen Guest

    Vidhi Gupta wrote:
    > C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    > 5.5\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\bl\ConsLicBl.java
    > C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
    > 5.5\webapps\testing\WEB-INF\classes\org\cris\prime\db\DBConnection.java

    Well, the thing which comes to mind, is that you have the .java files
    in your WEB-INF/classes dir, try putting the .class files inthere
    instead.

    /Steen

    steen, Feb 8, 2006