Unable to connect to database via webservce

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Saira, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Saira

    Saira Guest

    Hi all
    I have taken on a project from another developer and am experiencing some
    problems.
    To give some background, the application was running smoothly (client talks
    to web service, web service goes to database, web service returns data,
    client displays data).
    We then upgraded to SQL Server 2005. The machine is a new box.
    Now when I run the application, if the web service is running on my local
    machine, under localhost, I do not have a problem, if it is running on a
    webserver, it does not seem to connect to the database at all.
    A query accessing the database from the client application works fine, and a
    trace shows it up.
    When the web service queries the database, nothing appears in the trace on
    the SQL Server box.
    I am running in a mixed mode, Windows 2003 environment. The connection from
    the web service is via a SQL login. I have setup delegation between the web
    server and the SQL box. I have checked the permissions and these seem fine
    (as testified by the fact that it works when the web service is running
    locally)
    Anyone have any thoughts? I'll try pretty much anything at the moment.

    TIA
    Saira
    Saira, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Saira

    Stu Guest

    Stu, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Saira

    Saira Guest

    Thanks Stu
    remote access is on for TCPIP and Named Pipes.
    Any other thoughts?

    Saira, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Saira

    Josh Twist Guest

    Hi Saira,

    Do you not see any error in your application?

    Are you sure the web server is pointing to the correct Sql box (i.e.
    the one that you are tracing?)

    Josh
    http://www.thejoyofcode.com/
    Josh Twist, Feb 20, 2006
  5. Saira

    Saira Guest

    I am pretty sure it is pointing to the correct location. like i said, the
    webservice works fine and gets data out of the database correctly when it
    runs as local host, it's just when i put it on the server that i have a
    problem. this is why i am wondering whether it is a delegation issue.
    however, the delegation seems fine. i am runnign teh database and the web
    server using the local system account (so no need to register SPNs) and have
    delegated in Active Directory to the SQL Server service.
    I had anonymous access and integrated security enabled on the web server and
    was not getting any error messages, just a time out. when i changed this to
    remove anonymous access, i got 401.2. I thought that i had to disallow
    anonymous access if i was enabling delegation, is that correct?

    Tearing my hair out here, it's so frustrating!!!

    Saira

    Saira, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Saira

    Praveen Guest

    hai Saira

    Are you poienting to correctly to database ??(I mean by speciying IP address
    only not using localhost) and
    is your server system is containing MDAC components ??? .... (Sql client
    Components To get data from SQL server system to ur webservice)

    Praveen, Feb 23, 2006