Unable to consume Process reserved memory

Discussion in 'C++' started by Aravind, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. Aravind

    Aravind Guest

    Hi ,
    This is a Windows form application which interacts with the unmanaged
    C++ codes . In unmanaged c++ code we allocate around 130MB on the heap
    for annalysing high resolution images .

    Earlier during the processing ee do lot of process on the image and the
    memory reaches high at one point of time to 1.2GB , after that we clear
    all the memory being used so the memory in the task manager comes to
    really low.
    Also I am calling CompactHeap function in the c++ to get contigous
    memory space.

    Then when we read the processed high resolution image (130MB ) it is
    going to out of memory exception . At this point I run memory analyser
    and analysed the process memory , the reserved memory in the process is
    good enough and the free memory in the process is really low . I am
    wondering why the system is not taking the memory from the reserved
    memory space and how to make the reserved memory into free memory space
    for the process , can u force the process to get the reserved memory?

    Regards
    Aravind.

    Aravind, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Aravind wrote:
    > This is a Windows form application [...]. I am
    > wondering why the system is not taking the memory from the reserved
    > memory space and how to make the reserved memory into free memory
    > space for the process , can u force the process to get the reserved
    > memory?

    Please ask about Windows-specific things in a Windows programming
    newsgroup. If you do 'delete' after 'new' (or 'delete[]' after
    'new[]'), you're fine AFA C++ is concerned. Anything specific to
    any particular platform is OT here.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Aravind

    Ram Guest

    This post is not so relevant to this newsgroup. You should better post
    to some windows/Visual C++ specific NG, still I am interested.

    > This is a Windows form application which interacts with the unmanaged
    > C++ codes . In unmanaged c++ code we allocate around 130MB on the heap
    > for annalysing high resolution images .

    What do u mean by unmanaged C++ code?

    > Earlier during the processing ee do lot of process on the image and the
    > memory reaches high at one point of time to 1.2GB , after that we clear
    > all the memory being used so the memory in the task manager comes to
    > really low.
    > Also I am calling CompactHeap function in the c++ to get contigous
    > memory space.

    The information which u hv provided is not sufficient. How do u clear
    memory? Some STL containers don't actually release memory when u think
    they do e.g. calling std::vector::clear() need not give the memory back
    to the system.

    > Then when we read the processed high resolution image (130MB ) it is
    > going to out of memory exception . At this point I run memory analyser
    > and analysed the process memory , the reserved memory in the process is
    > good enough and the free memory in the process is really low . I am
    > wondering why the system is not taking the memory from the reserved
    > memory space and how to make the reserved memory into free memory space
    > for the process , can u force the process to get the reserved memory?

    What does it exactly mean by reserved and free memory in the process?

    -Ramashish

    Ram, Aug 6, 2005