unable to dedug asp.net app - The project is not configured to be debugged.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TM, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. TM

    TM Guest

    When I run an ASP.Net application I am getting the following error:
    "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
    server. The project is not configured to be debugged."

    I checked and made sure the Machine Debug Manager is running on the server,
    made sure the web.comfit file has debug=true. Mine is:
    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />

    I also checked the directory executions permissions and it is set to scripts
    and executables.

    My name is as a member of the VB Developers group and Debugger Users Group.
    I am developing on an XP Professional machine with VS.Net 2003 and the web
    server is on a local LAN as a stand alone server, running Windows 2003

    Any ideas how to fix this ?
    --
    Tony
    TM, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Read this.... it should help

    Ten Steps to Successful Debugging
    It's terrible when it happens-but rest assured, it will happen. You see,
    debugging Windows programs is a pretty simple process and one not prone to
    failure. But debugging Web applications is much more fallible.

    So, what should you do if you attempt to start debugging a Web application
    and get the dreaded "Unable to start debugging on the Web Server" error?
    Here's your one-stop checklist...

    1.. Are you working offline in Internet Explorer? Launch Internet Explorer
    and look in the File menu. If "Work Offline" is checked, click it to
    unselect this option, restart Visual Studio .NET, then try again.
    2.. Are there syntax errors in Web.config? If there are, you won't be able
    to start debugging. To check this, click Debug, Start Without Debugging and
    see whether your browser reports back an error. If it does, fix it and try
    again.
    3.. Are you running Windows 2000 or Windows XP? If so, continue to step
    four. If you're debugging a remote ASP.NET application under Windows NT 4,
    you'll need to launch the application without debugging, then manually
    attach to it. Look up "debugging ASP.NET Web applications, system
    requirements" in the Help Index for more information. Word of advice:
    upgrade.
    4.. Are you a member of the Debuggers Users group? You may be logged on as
    Administrator, but it's still worth checking. If you're not in the group,
    you may be denied your debugging rights.
    5.. Does your Web.config file have its "debug" attribute set to "true"? If
    not, you're going nowhere. You might also want to check that the
    Configuration Manager lists your project as 'Debug', not 'Release' (use the
    drop-down box on the standard menu to alter, or choose Build, Configuration
    Manager).
    6.. When you created the project, did you specify an IP address rather
    than a machine name? If so, launch Internet Explorer, choose Internet
    Options, select the Security tab and add the IP address to the list of
    trusted sites-then try again.
    7.. Did you install IIS after Visual Studio .NET? If so, you'll need to do
    a little fixing. Use the Help Index to look up "installing Internet
    Information Server". Midway through the software requirements, you'll find
    instructions telling you how to install IIS. It also provides advice on
    configuring and repairing IIS after installing Visual Studio .NET: Follow
    the guidelines.
    8.. Are the IIS security settings set up properly? You can check this by
    launching the Internet Services Manager in Windows 2000, or Internet
    Information Services in Windows XP (found under the Administrative Tools
    option on the Programs menu). Navigate to your Web server, locate the
    Default Web Site node, right-click and select Properties, choose the
    Directory Security tab, and select Edit. Ensure Anonymous Access and
    Integrated Windows Authentication are checked, then OK on all open dialog
    boxes.
    9.. Is the Web application virtual folder set up correctly? You can check
    this by launching the Internet Services Manager in Windows 2000, or Internet
    Information Services in Windows XP (found under the Administrative Tools
    option on the Programs menu). Navigate to your Web server, expand the
    Default Web Site node, and then find your application folder in the list. If
    it looks like regular Windows Explorer, it hasn't been set up correctly. To
    resolve, right-click on the folder, select Properties, click the Create
    button, and then hit OK to save.
    10.. And finally, the most obvious of them all: Is the URL for the project
    correct? Ensure both directory and extensions are accurate-and attempt to
    browse the list of available files, where appropriate.
    Hope it helps,
    Cristhian
    México

    Cristhian Job, Dec 3, 2003

  3. TM

    TM Guest

    Well, this was the item that did the trick:
    > 9.. Is the Web application virtual folder set up correctly? You can

    check
    > this by launching the Internet Services Manager in Windows 2000, or

    Internet
    > Information Services in Windows XP (found under the Administrative Tools
    > option on the Programs menu). Navigate to your Web server, expand the
    > Default Web Site node, and then find your application folder in the list.

    If
    > it looks like regular Windows Explorer, it hasn't been set up correctly.

    > resolve, right-click on the folder, select Properties, click the Create
    > button, and then hit OK to save.

    Any idea how I can prevent this problem from occurring in the future so that
    when I create ASP.Net applications they will debug without me doing this
    manual step ?
    --
    Tony

    TM, Dec 3, 2003