Unable to get OMA working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Paul Cotgrove, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I have had untold issues trying to get OMA working from an
    out-of-the-box installation of Exchange 2003. My configuration is a
    single server running Windows Server 2003 with all relevant
    WindowsUpdate hotfixes applied, Exchange 2003, EXCH2003 SP1 and
    associated hotfixes.

    OWA works like a dream and Exchange works superbly in all other
    aspects of its operation, i.e. SMTP, POP3, etc.

    I started to configure OMA as follows:

    Enable the Mobile Access within the ESM Global properties also
    allowing unsupported devices - enabled users with AD for Mobile Access

    This gave me a 403 failure after authentication so I read a few
    technet articles and removed and reinstalled the .NET framework 1.1
    Mobile Device Support 4.0

    This moved me on to an error which basically said that my mailbox
    could not be located - back to technet where I found an article
    telling me to correct the VirtualDir name in a registry string value.
    This value did not exist so I created it which lead me to the
    following error:

    Item no longer exists. The item you are attempting to access may have
    been deleted or moved.

    Again, I have read many articles within these newsgroups and chased
    links to technet articles that dont appear to exist anymore, even
    though this product is only a year or so old!!!!

    Anyway, one article I read said that the path for the OMA virtual
    directory should point to the same location as the Exchange virtual
    directory, something along the lines of
    \\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx where mydomain.co.uk is the
    organisation that I have installed.

    Currently, the path is set to C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Exchange\blah\blah\OMA\browse and I am seeing files in this location.

    When I point the path to \\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx
    there are no files there and all I get is 404 Page not founds!!

    Does anybody have any idea why this is proving to be such a pain to
    get working? Also, can someone shed some light on the missing technet
    articles on the MS site?

    Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist with this, I have no
    more hair to pull out!!!
    Paul Cotgrove, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Paul Cotgrove

    Dave Guest

    I had the same problems as you. The path was definitely wrong on my system,
    so I changed it. I will go see if I can find the article I found.

    Also, check DIRECTORY SECURITY settings and make sure it (OMA) isn't
    restricted to internal computers only.

    Dave

    Dave, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Many Thanks Dave

    Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated as I really
    have run into a brick wall over this. Thanks for your help and I look
    forward to hearing from you in the new future

    Paul Cotgrove, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Hello,

    I had a problem with OMA and POP due to the SMTP domain.

    if you define an main smtp address as company.com you must do it in the
    default policy otherwise either POP or OMA doesn't recognize the user.

    this means that the address you see in IIS
    \\\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx must be the principal SMTP address
    of your users.
    The only way I've found to change his address in the BackOfficeStorage is to
    modify the SMTP domain in default recipient policy

    Hope tha help

    --
    Daniel Falconetti
    MCSE/MCT