Unable to get OMA working

Paul Cotgrove

Hi

I have had untold issues trying to get OMA working from an
out-of-the-box installation of Exchange 2003. My configuration is a
single server running Windows Server 2003 with all relevant
WindowsUpdate hotfixes applied, Exchange 2003, EXCH2003 SP1 and
associated hotfixes.

OWA works like a dream and Exchange works superbly in all other
aspects of its operation, i.e. SMTP, POP3, etc.

I started to configure OMA as follows:

Enable the Mobile Access within the ESM Global properties also
allowing unsupported devices - enabled users with AD for Mobile Access

This gave me a 403 failure after authentication so I read a few
technet articles and removed and reinstalled the .NET framework 1.1
Mobile Device Support 4.0

This moved me on to an error which basically said that my mailbox
could not be located - back to technet where I found an article
telling me to correct the VirtualDir name in a registry string value.
This value did not exist so I created it which lead me to the
following error:

Item no longer exists. The item you are attempting to access may have
been deleted or moved.

Again, I have read many articles within these newsgroups and chased
links to technet articles that dont appear to exist anymore, even
though this product is only a year or so old!!!!

Anyway, one article I read said that the path for the OMA virtual
directory should point to the same location as the Exchange virtual
directory, something along the lines of
\\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx where mydomain.co.uk is the
organisation that I have installed.

Currently, the path is set to C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Exchange\blah\blah\OMA\browse and I am seeing files in this location.

When I point the path to \\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx
there are no files there and all I get is 404 Page not founds!!

Does anybody have any idea why this is proving to be such a pain to
get working? Also, can someone shed some light on the missing technet
articles on the MS site?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist with this, I have no
more hair to pull out!!!

Dave

I had the same problems as you. The path was definitely wrong on my system,
so I changed it. I will go see if I can find the article I found.

Also, check DIRECTORY SECURITY settings and make sure it (OMA) isn't
restricted to internal computers only.

Dave

Paul Cotgrove

Many Thanks Dave

Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated as I really
have run into a brick wall over this. Thanks for your help and I look
forward to hearing from you in the new future

Falconetti Daniel

Hello,

I had a problem with OMA and POP due to the SMTP domain.

if you define an main smtp address as company.com you must do it in the
default policy otherwise either POP or OMA doesn't recognize the user.

this means that the address you see in IIS
\\\.\BackOfficeStorage\mydomain.co.uk\mbx must be the principal SMTP address
of your users.
The only way I've found to change his address in the BackOfficeStorage is to
modify the SMTP domain in default recipient policy

Hope tha help