"unable to get the project file from the web server"

I keep getting this message, "unable to get the project file from the web
server" when I try to open a new project that I just copied. I created a
virtual director with IIS 5 (VS2002). Trying to setup Rainbow.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Andy
(e-mail address removed)

Mark Fitzpatrick

VS opens web projects as FrontPage webs. You can make the virtual directory
an FP web by right-clicking on the virtual server in the IIS MMC, select new
| Server Extensions Web and entering the web and title as the exact same as
the virtual directory. You'll probably need to run a check server extensions
at both the root web level and on the virtual directory through the
right-click | tasks | Check server extensions (this operation makes sure
that the directory has the correct permissions).

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Thanks for your response.

I tried that at "/Web Sites/Default Web Site/Rainbow". I hit "New/Server
Extensions 2002 Web. The "Check Server Extensions 2002" said there were no
problems. I still get the same message when opening the code in VS.

You said, "VS opens web projects as FrontPage webs." Can you direct me to a
book, web sites, etc. about what in the world is a FrontPage Web in .NET? I
don't understand why we need FP Extensions or what they are. Is it more
components for coding? More components for the server? What happens if I
don't use it?

Thanks,
Andy