Unable to get the project file from the Web Server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SteveS, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. SteveS

    SteveS Guest

    Hello, I'm compiling an asp.net application and having troubles. I keep
    getting the errors:
    "Unable to open Web project" for the web web services
    and "Unable to get the project file from the Web server" for the web
    project.

    I believe I'm getting this because I don't have IIS pointing to the
    application. However, I'm doing this on purpose because this is a test
    server and I don't want to touch IIS.

    I'm not using VS.Net directly, but I believe I had the same problem using
    devenv.exe. (I'm actually using MSBuild from www.gotdotnet.com which I
    compiled for the 1.1 .Net Framework). I think the same issues would
    apply.

    Is there a technical reason why I need IIS pointing to the application? Is
    there a way around this? This is very frustrating!

    Thank you in advance!!!

    Steve
    SteveS, Jun 15, 2004

  2. SteveS

    Rick Spiewak Guest

    An ASP.NET project has to be in an IIS application. If you have access to
    another system for testing, try using that - even Win2K or XP pro will do.

    Rick Spiewak, Jun 16, 2004

  3. SteveS

    SteveS Guest

    Is it easy to change the URL where it's pointing. Currently it points to
    http://localhost/MySite. Can I easily change the URL to be
    http://localhost/MyCompileSite?? This way, I can compile it in
    http://localhost/MyCompileSite, then deploy it to the other site after I
    know it compiles correctly. Any suggestions?

    SteveS, Jun 16, 2004