Unable to install perl module win32:driveinfo

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by shaahul, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. shaahul

    shaahul Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to install the perl module driveInfo, but have been
    unsuccessful.

    I downloaded Win32-DriveInfo-0.06.tar.gz from
    http://www.cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html and unzipped to a
    directory.

    - From that directory, I ran "perl Makefile.PL". This was the output-
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for Win32::DriveInfo

    - Then ran "make" and "make test", but get this error.
    makefile:653: *** missing separator. Stop.

    I am new to Perl and am unable to figure out the fix for this problem.
    Can someone tell me what I might be missing?

    Thanks.

    shaahul, Oct 18, 2005

  2. shaahul

    Randy Kobes Guest

    shaahul wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to install the perl module driveInfo, but have been
    > unsuccessful.
    >
    > I downloaded Win32-DriveInfo-0.06.tar.gz from
    > http://www.cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html and unzipped to a
    > directory.
    >
    > - From that directory, I ran "perl Makefile.PL". This was the output-
    > Checking if your kit is complete...
    > Looks good
    > Writing Makefile for Win32::DriveInfo
    >

    > - Then ran "make" and "make test", but get this error.
    > makefile:653: *** missing separator. Stop.

    If you're using ActivePerl, it's more straightforward
    to use Microsoft's "nmake":
    http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html
    However, again for ActivePerl, it's easier again to
    first check if a ppm package is available:
    http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/Win32-DriveInfo
    See
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html
    for help on getting started with ppm.

    --
    best regards,
    randy kobes

    Randy Kobes, Oct 18, 2005

  3. shaahul

    shaahul Guest

    Thanks a lot Randy

    I was able to use nmake and these are the commands I ran.

    1. perl Makefile.PL
    Output
    ----------
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for Win32::DriveInfo

    2. nmake
    Output
    ----------

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 6.00.9782.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

    cp DriveInfo.pm blib\lib\Win32\DriveInfo.pm

    3. nmake test
    Output
    ----------

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 6.00.9782.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

    C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -Iblib\arch -Iblib\lib -IC:\Perl\lib
    -IC:\Perl\lib
    test.pl
    1..11
    ok 1
    ok 2
    ok 3
    ok 4
    ok 5
    ok 6
    ok 7
    ok 8
    ok 9
    ok 10
    Drive C: `dir' and module returned not the same
    not ok 11

    4. nmake install
    Output
    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 6.00.9782.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

    Skipping C:\Perl\site\lib\Win32\DriveInfo.pm (unchanged)
    Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Win32\DriveInfo\.packlist
    Appending installation info to C:\Perl\lib/perllocal.pod

    Could you please let me know if the installation was successful.

    Thanks.

    Shaahul

    shaahul, Oct 18, 2005