Unable to install Pywin32 for Python 2.6.2

David Lees

I have no problem installing Python 2.6.2 for windows under XP SP3 and
IDLE and the command line versions work fine. When I run the pywin32
installer downloaded from sourceforge (pywin32-212.win32-py2.6.exe) I
get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 565, in <module>
File "<string>", line 291, in install
ImportError: Module use of python25.dll conflicts with this version of
Python.
*** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***

I have tried uninstalling Python 2.6 and reinstalling, but still get the
same message. I do have Python 2.5.4 and its associated Pywin32 on the
same machine, but I have a laptop with pywin32 installed for both python
2.5 and 2.6.

TIA

David Lees

David Lyon

Hi,

hmmm... that's annoying..

Whilst I don't have an exact answer I have a few hunches...

Perphaps what has happened is that the windows installer between
the versions of pywin32 has installed newer versions of the same
dlls over the top of older ones.

Or, possibly, the installer hasn't wanted to replace older dll's
because they already exist on the system.

This would result in a mismatch.

You may be lucky and find an install log. This might tell you which
files were actually installed. And you could play around with
moving them around.

Good luck with your night vision task....

David

David Lyon