Unable to make python work properly

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Grant, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. Hi all,
    I'd greatly appreciate any help. I can configure, make and install
    everything fine. I'm using python 2.4 I have ubuntu dapper drake. I am
    trying to install hplip which requires python. When I do this, this
    also works but while running the following error occurs:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/hp-setup", line 31, in ?
    import readline, gzip
    ImportError: No module named readline

    It appears as though for some reaosn the readline module is not being
    installed on my system. Also, it doesn't really seem like python could
    possibly be being installed correctly. If I go to python tools and try
    to run ./listmodules I get the following error:

    > File "/usr/lib/python2.4/doc/tools/listmodules", line 183, in ?
    > main()
    > File "/usr/lib/python2.4/doc/tools/listmodules", line 119, in main
    > os.chdir("Modules")
    > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Modules'

    Any tool i try to run in the python/doc folder gives me error messages. Any thoughts on why
    this is not working at all? I'd gladly erase everything w/ regards to python
    and start over if that would help, but i'm unsure how to do that. Thanks for the help
    Ben

    Benjamin Grant, Sep 9, 2006

  2. In <>, Benjamin Grant
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'd greatly appreciate any help. I can configure, make and install
    > everything fine. I'm using python 2.4 I have ubuntu dapper drake. I am
    > trying to install hplip which requires python. When I do this, this
    > also works but while running the following error occurs:
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/local/bin/hp-setup", line 31, in ?
    > import readline, gzip
    > ImportError: No module named readline

    `hplip` is available as package in the Ubuntu repositories. Why do you
    install it from sources?

    > It appears as though for some reaosn the readline module is not being
    > installed on my system.

    It's a dependency of the Python packages. That's odd.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Sep 9, 2006