Unable to open the Web...You are not authorized to perform the current operation

ssg31415926

I'm getting the error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah/blahblah'.
You are not authorized to perform the current operation". I have
changed a few things recently but I can't change them back as I need
them. I can't find anything about it using searches.

Yesterday, I removed the "Enable anonymous access" option from my web
(within the Default Web Site). The web has Integrated Windows
authentication checked. The site must check AD group membership so I
need these options set like this. (It runs with a particular AppPool
which uses a network account.)

Immediately afterwards, when I tried to access a page on the site the
User name/Password authentication pane appeared - this wasn't
happening before. A bit of research revealed that a site set up like
this needs an SPN. The server itself had two, one with the netbios
name and one with the fully qualified DNS name. So, I set up two for
the AppPool account. After this, when I tried to access the page, I
didn't get the authentication panel. So far, so good.

However, today I decided to tweak a page, so I went to open up the
site in VS2005 and got the User name/Password authentication pane - I
tried my ID (which is a member of Administrators on the server) and it
didn't work - the pane reappeared. When I clicked cancel I got this
error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah'. You are not authorized
to perform the current operation"

Any suggestions?

(The server is 2003 R2, patched to recent.)

Guest

[...]

What permissions do you have on the directory where the website is
located?

ssg31415926

My account is a member of local Administrators on the server (one of
many things I had to do to get remote debugging working). It has Full
Control over the folder. I've checked the individual files and the
Full Control permissions are inherited. I can access the pages using
a browser, I just can't edit the site.

I did have a Kerberos problem for a while but resetting the server's
SPN seems to have fixed it - at least, there are now no error messages
in the event log on restarting the server.

ssg31415926

It's definitely to do with the SPNs: I deleted the two SPNs I added
the other day and the problem reverted back to the original: IE asked
for credentials but refused to accept them, VS2005 didn't ask for
creds and successfully accessed the site.

Then I added back the SPN (using SETSPN -A http/fqdn.of.server
NetBIOSDomainName\AccountName) and the problem swapped back: IE didn't
ask for creds and successfully accessed the site, VS2005 asked for
credentials but refused to accept them.

So, it's something to do with the Service Principal Name, but what?