Unable to open web project. A rogue colon ':' is appearing in the

Guest

Hi,

I have done a lot of searching on this and I am yet to find a real answer.

I am receiving the common 'Unable to open web project .... ' error, only
with a slight difference. Visual Studio 2003 seems to be inserting a ':'
character into the URL. So the URL it is trying to locate the project on is
http://Localhost: which of course fails.

I have a mapping in IIS to use the aspnet_isapi.dll to process .htm files
(this is necessary for the app). I realise that visual studio uses temporary
..htm files to validate the URLs of projects
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327283).

I guess the mapping might be an issue, but it doesn't seem to explain the
':'. Or is the ':' a red herring?

Thanks for any ideas. I'm at my wits end

Chad Devine

Did you manually make the mapping in IIS to use the .dll or did the
installation of the .net framework do this for you? If you did it
yourself then you should probably uninstall the framework and reinstall
it, because the framework should update IIS for yourself.