Unable to open Web project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mythran, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    When I try to open a web project using Microsoft Visual Studio 2003, I get
    the following error message (this happens on a couple of machines in-house,
    while on the rest it works without the error):

    'Unable to open Web project 'Application1'. Server error: There is no web
    named "/Application1".'

    I have removed and then configured Front Page Server Extensions, removed and
    created the Application for the Default Web Site, as well as ran
    "Recalculate Web" and "Check Server Extensions" in IIS for the Default Web
    Site.

    Uninstalling IIS, Installing IIS, then running aspnet_regiis -i fixes the
    problem, but there are too many developer machines in-house that have this
    problem and going through all of this is tedious...especially since it has
    re-ocurred without us being able to reproduce how it happens in order to
    prevent it from happening.

    Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this? How about fixing the problem
    without all of the uninstalling and reinstalling of IIS and ASP.Net?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mythran

    Mythran, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Is Application1 a virtual directory under the root designated
    for the web site on the developer's PC?

    By default, ASP.NET trys to make all of your development
    apps run under virtual directories.

    My guess if this doesn't fix the problem, VS.NET 2003
    was installed prior to installing IIS. Thus, the install
    steps you took should fix the problem.

    --
    2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    Robbe Morris

    Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
    messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Jul 7, 2005

  3. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    "Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Is Application1 a virtual directory under the root designated
    > for the web site on the developer's PC?
    >
    > By default, ASP.NET trys to make all of your development
    > apps run under virtual directories.
    >
    > My guess if this doesn't fix the problem, VS.NET 2003
    > was installed prior to installing IIS. Thus, the install
    > steps you took should fix the problem.
    >
    > --
    > 2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    > Robbe Morris
    > http://www.masterado.net
    >
    > Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
    > messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

    Well, Application1 gets created as a virtual directory under the root, yes.
    What do you mean, "if this doesn't fix the problem"? What fix have you
    suggested? I'm lost heh.

    Thanks,
    Mythran

    Mythran, Jul 7, 2005
  4. I meant for your other development PC's to save
    you some time uninstalling and reinstalling IIS.

    They may not work properly because the virtual
    directory was missing and not because of an
    installation problem with IIS.

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Jul 7, 2005
  5. Hi, Mythran.

    re:
    > Uninstalling IIS, Installing IIS, then running aspnet_regiis -i fixes the problem

    re:
    > How about fixing the problem without all of the uninstalling and reinstalling of IIS and
    > ASP.Net?

    Uninstalling and reinstalling IIS is rarely needed,
    and isn't needed at all if the problem is VS.Net's.

    *First* running aspnet_regiis -u
    and *then* running aspnet_regiis -i

    is a more complete fix than just running aspnet_regiis -i,
    particularly in reference to the recreation of the ASP.NET account.

    re:
    > this happens on a couple of machines in-house

    > I have removed and then configured Front Page Server Extensions, removed and created the
    > Application for the Default Web Site, as well as ran "Recalculate Web" and "Check Server
    > Extensions" in IIS for the Default Web Site.

    Do you absolutely need Front Page Extensions ?

    From what you say this happens "on a couple of machines in-house".

    You only need Front Page Extensions installed on the production web server.
    FP Extensions are not needed on the workstations.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Mythran.
    >
    > re:
    >> Uninstalling IIS, Installing IIS, then running aspnet_regiis -i fixes the
    >> problem

    > re:
    >> How about fixing the problem without all of the uninstalling and
    >> reinstalling of IIS and ASP.Net?

    > Uninstalling and reinstalling IIS is rarely needed,
    > and isn't needed at all if the problem is VS.Net's.
    >
    > *First* running aspnet_regiis -u
    > and *then* running aspnet_regiis -i
    >
    > is a more complete fix than just running aspnet_regiis -i,
    > particularly in reference to the recreation of the ASP.NET account.
    >
    > re:
    >> this happens on a couple of machines in-house

    >> I have removed and then configured Front Page Server Extensions, removed
    >> and created the Application for the Default Web Site, as well as ran
    >> "Recalculate Web" and "Check Server Extensions" in IIS for the Default
    >> Web Site.

    > Do you absolutely need Front Page Extensions ?
    >
    > From what you say this happens "on a couple of machines in-house".
    >
    > You only need Front Page Extensions installed on the production web
    > server.
    > FP Extensions are not needed on the workstations.

    I have to use FPE for our projects, afaik. The way we are creating web
    projects is using the following <snip>

    <snip>
    Public Sub CreateVirtualDirectory(ByVal Name As String, ByVal Path As
    String)
    Dim iisAdmin As DirectoryEntry
    Dim virtualDir As DirectoryEntry

    ' Get the Admin object.

    iisAdmin = New DirectoryEntry("IIS://localhost/W3SVC/1/Root")
    Try
    ' Create the virtual directory.
    virtualDir = iisAdmin.Children.Add(Name, "IIsWebVirtualDir")

    With virtualDir
    .Properties.Item("Path")(0) = Path
    .Properties.Item("AspEnableParentPaths")(0) = True
    .Invoke("AppCreate", False)
    .CommitChanges()
    End With
    Catch Ex As Exception
    ' Show the exception's message.
    MsgBox(Ex.Message)
    Finally
    ' Cleanup.
    iisAdmin.Dispose()

    If Not virtualDir Is Nothing
    virtualDir.Dispose()
    End If
    End Try
    End Sub
    </snip>

    Using the above code, the Virtual Directory is successfully created, but I
    get the error message "Unable to open Web project 'Application1'. Server
    error: There is no web named '/Application1'."

    We create the web application by creating the web project using the
    DTE.Solution.AddFromFile method.

    Hope this helps further solve my problems...

    Mythran

    Mythran, Jul 7, 2005
  7. re:
    > I have to use FPE for our projects, afaik.

    That may be an unneeded rule, except for the web server.

    re:
    > The way we are creating web projects is using the following

    I see you are accessing the metabase from code, but I don't
    see anything in that code which requires FP Extensions.

    re:
    > Using the above code, the Virtual Directory is successfully created, but I get the error
    > message "Unable to open Web project 'Application1'. Server error: There is no web named
    > '/Application1'."

    Creating a Virtual Directory is not the same as creating an IIS Application.

    Shouldn't
    .Invoke("AppCreate", False)
    be
    .Invoke("AppCreate", True)

    ?

    You might also want to set the .Properties for AccessScript to
    true, if you want the App to be able to serve aspx pages.

    Please review :

    http://tat.chillijam.co.uk/wordpress/?p=62
    http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/399.aspx
    http://lzcd.com/archive/2004/11/26/241.aspx

    Check those links; make the necessary changes,
    and let us know how you did.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 7, 2005
  8. Mythran

    > re:
    >> I have to use FPE for our projects, afaik.

    > That may be an unneeded rule, except for the web server.

    Yeah, but that "unneeded rule" seems to be required. The way we
    programmatically add the project to the solution :(

    > re:
    >> The way we are creating web projects is using the following

    > I see you are accessing the metabase from code, but I don't
    > see anything in that code which requires FP Extensions.

    That is because I didn't post the code that adds the project to the solution
    :) I'm focusing on getting this to work with FPE, even though it may not be
    "needed". Getting it to work for all systems in-house would ensure that it
    works in the production environment, and make me sleep easier knowing that
    most, if not all, kinks have been worked out.

    > re:
    >> Using the above code, the Virtual Directory is successfully created, but
    >> I get the error
    >> message "Unable to open Web project 'Application1'. Server error: There
    >> is no web named
    >> '/Application1'."

    > Creating a Virtual Directory is not the same as creating an IIS
    > Application.

    Yeah, you can create an IIS app w/o a Virtual Directory, but as you see with
    my code, I am creating a Virtual Directory and then creating an IIS
    application out of the Virtual Directory. The metadata SchemaClassName is
    still, IIsWebVirtualDir, even after I create the app out of the virtual
    directory.

    > Shouldn't
    > .Invoke("AppCreate", False)
    > be
    > .Invoke("AppCreate", True)

    Testing this, I may have been switching it around to test what happens ...
    maybe this fixes it :)

    > ?
    >
    > You might also want to set the .Properties for AccessScript to
    > true, if you want the App to be able to serve aspx pages.

    We do not set AccessScript, or any other Access flags directly. Our
    AccessFlags property is set to 513 on the parent (ACCESS_READ +
    ACCESS_SCRIPT), which is then inherited by the Virtual
    Directory/Application.

    > Please review :
    >
    > http://tat.chillijam.co.uk/wordpress/?p=62
    > http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/399.aspx
    > http://lzcd.com/archive/2004/11/26/241.aspx
    >
    > Check those links; make the necessary changes,
    > and let us know how you did.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    > Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    > ======================

    Thanks, Juan, I'll be making some more changes using some of the suggestions
    you posted. I am currently reading the content of those links...and will
    see if any other adjustments are needed to the code...then reply any
    findings.

    Mythran

    Mythran, Jul 7, 2005
  9. re:
    >> Shouldn't
    >> .Invoke("AppCreate", False)
    >> be
    >> .Invoke("AppCreate", True)

    > Testing this, I may have been switching it around to test what happens ... maybe this
    > fixes it :)

    Yeah, that's the likeliest culprit. Let us know if that is the fix.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 7, 2005
  10. Mythran

    > re:
    >>> Shouldn't
    >>> .Invoke("AppCreate", False)
    >>> be
    >>> .Invoke("AppCreate", True)

    >> Testing this, I may have been switching it around to test what happens
    >> ... maybe this fixes it :)

    > Yeah, that's the likeliest culprit. Let us know if that is the fix.

    Ok, got it to work :) Regardless of how the Virtual Directory is made, I
    had to set the DTE.Properties("Projects",
    "WebSettings").Item("AuthoringAccess").Value to
    VSLangProj.webPrjAuthoringAccess.webPrjAuthoringAccess_FileShare. This
    makes FPSE un-needed now :)

    So, thank you for your help. Hope this helps others if they ever creating
    new project templates in VS2003 :) Took a long time to figure out, still
    don't know why I can't create a Web Application using FPSE on the
    developer's machine :( The error message now reads, "Unable to create Web
    project 'WebApplication1'. Server Error". Doesn't even give me an error
    message lol...but it does allow me to create the project using a file share
    (which is why I started looking into how to do that programmatically).

    Thanks again :)

    Mythran

    Mythran, Jul 7, 2005
  11. Cool!