Unable to open Web project

Guest

I am trying to open web project in VS 2003 using the File Share method.

VS is running on XP Pro (Host) and I am accessing the root web of an XP Pro
install on Virtual PC (Server) running on the same machine.

I have the loopback adapter running on the Host. The Host is sharing it's
Internet connectivity with the loopback adapter and the Server is using the
loopback it for Internet connectivity. All the networking stuff is working
fine.

I can effectively browse the web server from the host.

I am getting the following error:
Unable to open Web project '/'. The file path '\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot'
does not correspond to the url 'http://shiraz'. The two need to map to the
same server location.

I have tried the following things:
1. Check permissions.
2. Use mapped drive
3. Double check web paths in the webinfo and solution files
4. Removed frontpage extensions
5. Setup host header in web to match dns name
6. Setup MIME type for .tmp extension

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jedatu,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
For the problem you mentioned, seems the network share that the VS 2003 IDE
is looking for dosn't match the actual location on your XP VPC box. Does
the share folder and files correctly display if you just type the
\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\vdir\" ?

Also, you can directly double click the project file through the UNC share
path like

\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProj\MyProj.csproj"

to see how it result. In addition, generally the default expected UNCShare
of a machine's IIS server is

\\machinename\wwwroot$

So you can try share your host machine's wwwroot folder as a "wwwroot$"
share and us the following style path to see whether it works:

"\\machinename\wwwroot$\myproj\xxxx"

In addition, you can also try creating a new project from the client
machine on the host (XP vpc) machine to see what's the shared directory vs
2003 IDE is looking for ...

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVk?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Unable to open Web project
| Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:05:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I am trying to open web project in VS 2003 using the File Share method.
|
| VS is running on XP Pro (Host) and I am accessing the root web of an XP
Pro
| install on Virtual PC (Server) running on the same machine.
|
| I have the loopback adapter running on the Host. The Host is sharing
it's
| Internet connectivity with the loopback adapter and the Server is using
the
| loopback it for Internet connectivity. All the networking stuff is
working
| fine.
|
| I can effectively browse the web server from the host.
|
| I am getting the following error:
| Unable to open Web project '/'. The file path
'\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot'
| does not correspond to the url 'http://shiraz'. The two need to map to
the
| same server location.
|
| I have tried the following things:
| 1. Check permissions.
| 2. Use mapped drive
| 3. Double check web paths in the webinfo and solution files
| 4. Removed frontpage extensions
| 5. Setup host header in web to match dns name
| 6. Setup MIME type for .tmp extension
|
| Does anyone have any other ideas?
|
| Thanks!

Guest

Thanks for the leads! Here is what I tried.
For the problem you mentioned, seems the network share that the VS 2003 IDE
is looking for dosn't match the actual location on your XP VPC box. Does
the share folder and files correctly display if you just type the
\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\vdir\" ?

Yes. I can browse (read/write/execute) either \\SHIRAZ\wwwroot$\ or
\\SHIRAZ\c$\Inetpub\wwwroot

Yes. It is the root web on Shiraz, but I have another project on that IIS
server that is not a root and it won't open either. I throws the same
error, so I think they are unrelated.
Also, you can directly double click the project file through the UNC share
path like

\\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProj\MyProj.csproj"

Opening the project file directly produces the error:
Unable to open Web project '/'. The file path '\\shiraz\wwwroot$' does not

FYI: http://shiraz is browseable from both the Host OS and the VPC OS.
to see how it result. In addition, generally the default expected UNCShare
of a machine's IIS server is

\\machinename\wwwroot$

I set this up to remove the UNC path as a variable. It produced no change
to the behavior.
In addition, you can also try creating a new project from the client
machine on the host (XP vpc) machine to see what's the shared directory vs
2003 IDE is looking for ...

I tried creating a new project and it choked too.

FYI: I orginally created the project using Frontpage extensions, but I
wanted to switch to File share for Source and Performance reasons. Again, I
have since removed Frontpage extensions.

Any ideas?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response jedatu,

So I think the file shared should be ok. The problem is likely due to the
webserver's http url can not quite be corrrectly resolved as the IIS site
so that fails to be mapped to the shared folder.... Does that work if
just creating or open web project inside the XP virtual PC itself(through
the http://shiraz url)?

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVk?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Unable to open Web project
| Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:10:25 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for the leads! Here is what I tried.
|
| > For the problem you mentioned, seems the network share that the VS 2003
IDE
| > is looking for dosn't match the actual location on your XP VPC box.
Does
| > the share folder and files correctly display if you just type the
| > \\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\vdir\" ?
|
| Yes. I can browse (read/write/execute) either \\SHIRAZ\wwwroot$\ or
| \\SHIRAZ\c$\Inetpub\wwwroot
|
| Yes. It is the root web on Shiraz, but I have another project on that IIS
| server that is not a root and it won't open either. I throws the same
| error, so I think they are unrelated.
|
| > Also, you can directly double click the project file through the UNC
share
| > path like
| >
| > \\shiraz\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProj\MyProj.csproj"
|
| Opening the project file directly produces the error:
| Unable to open Web project '/'. The file path '\\shiraz\wwwroot$' does
not
| correspond to the URL 'http://shiraz:'. The two need to map to the same
| server location.
| Unable to open Web project '/'. The file path '\\shiraz\wwwroot$' does
not
| correspond to the URL 'http://shiraz'. The two need to map to the same
server
| location.
|
| FYI: http://shiraz is browseable from both the Host OS and the VPC OS.
|
| > to see how it result. In addition, generally the default expected
UNCShare
| > of a machine's IIS server is
| >
| > \\machinename\wwwroot$
|
| I set this up to remove the UNC path as a variable. It produced no
change
| to the behavior.
|
| > In addition, you can also try creating a new project from the client
| > machine on the host (XP vpc) machine to see what's the shared directory
vs
| > 2003 IDE is looking for ...
|
| I tried creating a new project and it choked too.
|
| FYI: I orginally created the project using Frontpage extensions, but I
| wanted to switch to File share for Source and Performance reasons.
Again, I
| have since removed Frontpage extensions.
|
| Any ideas?

Guest

Yeah. I don't know what the problem is. Both IIS and the FileShare do
point to the same location. I don't have Visual Studio installed on the
Virtual PC so I can't create the project from within the Virtual PC.
Alternately, I tried creating a new project in a subfolder of the shiraz site
and that didn't work either.

I have heard that the VS web project cache can throw things off too, but I
have cleared that with no success.

Basically, it looks like FrontPage extensions or nothing. I think the whole
idea of FileShare access on a remote server doesn't work.

Thanks for you help! I open to new ideas, but I am not sure where to go
from here.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup jedatu,

Seems a bit hard to track down further into this. Anyway, fileshare access
to remote server's IIS site and web application should work. for your case,
the VPC and binding loopback address may also be a very specific scenario
that differs from normal phyisical environment.
BTW, if you're planing to upgrade the application to ASP.NET 2.0, vs 2005
can support file system based web site application which won't rely on IIS.
That'll help the development more convenient.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVk?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Unable to open Web project
| Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:46:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Yeah. I don't know what the problem is. Both IIS and the FileShare do
| point to the same location. I don't have Visual Studio installed on the
| Virtual PC so I can't create the project from within the Virtual PC.
| Alternately, I tried creating a new project in a subfolder of the shiraz
site
| and that didn't work either.
|
| I have heard that the VS web project cache can throw things off too, but
| have cleared that with no success.
|
| Basically, it looks like FrontPage extensions or nothing. I think the
whole
| idea of FileShare access on a remote server doesn't work.
|
| Thanks for you help! I open to new ideas, but I am not sure where to go
| from here.
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Thanks for your response jedatu,
| >
| > So I think the file shared should be ok. The problem is likely due to
the
| > webserver's http url can not quite be corrrectly resolved as the IIS
site
| > so that fails to be mapped to the shared folder.... Does that work if
| > just creating or open web project inside the XP virtual PC
itself(through
| > the http://shiraz url)?
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)

Guest

Thank you for the help, Steven!

It's a mystery. Upgrading the app to 2005 probably is the way to go.

Thanks, again.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Jedatu,

Please feel free to post here when you neet further assistance.