unable to register PythonService.exe

Discussion in 'Python' started by ChrisD, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. ChrisD

    ChrisD Guest

    I'm running Python 2.3.3 with Win32 extensions win32all-163. I'm
    working through Chapter 18 of Mark Hammond's excellent "Python
    Programming on Win32". On page 350 the simple NT service example
    requires that the PythonService.exe program be registered. However,
    when I attempt it I get this error:

    ---------------------------------
    C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32>PythonService /register
    Registering the Python Service Manager...
    Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

    abnormal program termination
    ---------------------------------

    Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem?

    thank you!

    Chris
    ChrisD, Jan 8, 2004

  2. (ChrisD) writes:

    > I'm running Python 2.3.3 with Win32 extensions win32all-163. I'm
    > working through Chapter 18 of Mark Hammond's excellent "Python
    > Programming on Win32". On page 350 the simple NT service example
    > requires that the PythonService.exe program be registered. However,
    > when I attempt it I get this error:
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    > C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32>PythonService /register
    > Registering the Python Service Manager...
    > Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
    >
    > abnormal program termination
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem?

    Looks like a bug to me, it behaves the same for me.

    OTOH, it seems that it's not required to do this registration since the
    sample PythonTestService.py works fine for me.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Jan 9, 2004

  3. ChrisD

    ChrisD Guest

    > Looks like a bug to me, it behaves the same for me.
    >
    > OTOH, it seems that it's not required to do this registration since the
    > sample PythonTestService.py works fine for me.

    It works for me, too! I didn't even think of trying that. It does
    appear that the installation program registered PythonService.exe -
    which the book says it does... I obviously didn't pay enough attention
    to that!

    Thanks for helping me figure that out.

    Chris
    ChrisD, Jan 9, 2004