Unable to resolve the symbols in shared library

sunil

Hi ,

Am facing one problem while deploying the shared library in different
boxes.
I devoloped one shared library for TAM suite ( This is a IBM product
for different authentication mechanisms) to customise that product for
a different scenario.
We deployed the TAM in different boxex and the same library file is
deployed in all the machines.
It is working in three boxes perfectly fine but in one box it is not
working.
When we diagnose the shared librarty to zero out the problem , we came
to know one symbol is missing in that library.

symbol not found: main (./libxauthn.so)
/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
symbol not found:
checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors (./libxauthn.so)
/usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
------------------------------------
But anywhere in my code I am not using this symbol. We are not aware
from where the loader is picking this symbol.
This problem is existing in only one server and the rest three are
executing perfectly fine.
Please let me know how to progress further.

Regards
Sunil.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

  symbol not found: main          (./libxauthn.so)
        /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
        symbol not found:
checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors                (./libxauthn..so)
        /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
------------------------------------

Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
called by the application's "start up" code?

sunil

Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
called by the application's "start up" code?

How to diagnose the problem whether third party function is calling or
not?
Am unaware where and how to dig into the problem.

Regards
Sunil

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

How to diagnose the problem whether third party function is calling or
not?
Am unaware where and how to dig into the problem.

I should have paid more attention to the error. Given that you're
getting a "symbol not found" error for "main", it definitely looks
like the problem is with the "start up" code, i.e. the secret code
that gets executed before main.

I'd say the problem is either:
1) The compiler is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled
2) The project options are screwed up

Try creating a brand new project and copying all the header and source
files to it, then re-compile.

If that doesn't work, re-install the compiler.

sunil

I should have paid more attention to the error. Given that you're
getting a "symbol not found" error for "main", it definitely looks
like the problem is with the "start up" code, i.e. the secret code
that gets executed before main.

I'd say the problem is either:
    1) The compiler is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled
    2) The project options are screwed up

Try creating a brand new project and copying all the header and source
files to it, then re-compile.

If that doesn't work, re-install the compiler.- Hide quoted text -

Tomas/Eric

Forgot to write onething in the last mail.The error pasted in the last
mail is the output of the command "ldd -r <shared library name>",here
the command is executed against my shared library.
We are checking ldd against the library thats the reason it is
throwing the "main" error.It is not our primary concern.
Main concern is the symbol "checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors".From where
this symbol is picked up?
In my code I am not using this kind of function
(checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors) or variable.Why it is coming only in
one server if the rest of three is working fine.

Regards
Sunil.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

In my code I am not using this kind of function
(checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors) or variable.Why it is coming only in
one server if the rest of three is working fine.

Two possibilites that come to mind:

1) The other two servers don't call this function, but this
problematic server does and it can't find it. This would be caused by
the problematic server using a different version of a 3rd party
library, for instance.

2) All three servers call this function, but it's simply missing on
the problematic server. This would be caused by a corrupt installation
of the compiler or of 3rd party libraries.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Be advised that Tomas is plonked for bigotry by various users here,
and thus his errors will not be corrected, or even seen, by many
users.  Tomas has also been known, earlier, to have some wierd
ideas about the C language.

It's a shame you can't see past your own personal prejudices to
embrace or at least tolerate my beliefs that are different to yours.
Hopefully one day all humanity can co-exist peacefully.

As for the allegations of "weird ideas", well I'll be more than happy
to answer specific instances that are backed up with examples. Anyone
can make wild allegations, see:
CBFalconer was arrested for drug dealing back in 1995.

Antoninus Twink

It's a shame you can't see past your own personal prejudices to
embrace or at least tolerate my beliefs that are different to yours.
Hopefully one day all humanity can co-exist peacefully.

I wouldn't take anything CBF says to heart. In my experience, it's a
blessing when he "plonks" you - you don't lose anything valuable, and
you do lose the irritating white noise of his complaints and technical
mistakes. To his eternal frustration, he isn't able to force others to
add the same people to their killfiles as him.
As for the allegations of "weird ideas", well I'll be more than happy
to answer specific instances that are backed up with examples.

I think he was referring to your preposterous use of "char unsigned"
etc., and your silly overuse of the const qualifier.
Anyone can make wild allegations, see:
CBFalconer was arrested for drug dealing back in 1995.

In 1995, CBF was 72 years old, and more likely to be spending the days
sitting in his own piss watching Jerry Springer than dealing drugs. Now
if only someone could sell /him/ some drugs - preferably horse
tranquillizers.

sunil

I wouldn't take anything CBF says to heart. In my experience, it's a
blessing when he "plonks" you - you don't lose anything valuable, and
you do lose the irritating white noise of his complaints and technical
mistakes. To his eternal frustration, he isn't able to force others to
add the same people to their killfiles as him.

I think he was referring to your preposterous use of "char unsigned"
etc., and your silly overuse of the const qualifier.

In 1995, CBF was 72 years old, and more likely to be spending the days
sitting in his own piss watching Jerry Springer than dealing drugs. Now
if only someone could sell /him/ some drugs - preferably horse
tranquillizers.

Hi Guys

I am not aware where this discussion is leading but my problem is
resolved by diagnosing the library using the nm command.

Regards
Sunil.