Unable to resolve the symbols in shared library

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by sunil, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. sunil

    sunil Guest

    Hi ,

    Am facing one problem while deploying the shared library in different
    boxes.
    I devoloped one shared library for TAM suite ( This is a IBM product
    for different authentication mechanisms) to customise that product for
    a different scenario.
    We deployed the TAM in different boxex and the same library file is
    deployed in all the machines.
    It is working in three boxes perfectly fine but in one box it is not
    working.
    When we diagnose the shared librarty to zero out the problem , we came
    to know one symbol is missing in that library.

    symbol not found: main (./libxauthn.so)
    /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
    symbol not found:
    checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors (./libxauthn.so)
    /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
    ------------------------------------
    But anywhere in my code I am not using this symbol. We are not aware
    from where the loader is picking this symbol.
    This problem is existing in only one server and the rest three are
    executing perfectly fine.
    Please let me know how to progress further.

    Regards
    Sunil.

    sunil, Jun 16, 2008

  2. On Jun 16, 1:20 pm, sunil <> wrote:

    >   symbol not found: main          (./libxauthn.so)
    >         /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
    >         symbol not found:
    > checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors                (./libxauthn..so)
    >         /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
    > ------------------------------------

    Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
    called by the application's "start up" code?

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 16, 2008

  3. sunil

    sunil Guest

    On Jun 16, 5:28 pm, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 1:20 pm, sunil <> wrote:

    > >   symbol not found: main          (./libxauthn.so)
    > >         /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
    > >         symbol not found:
    > > checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors                (./libxauthn.so)
    > >         /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
    > > ------------------------------------

    > Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
    > called by the application's "start up" code?

    How to diagnose the problem whether third party function is calling or
    not?
    Am unaware where and how to dig into the problem.

    Regards
    Sunil

    sunil, Jun 16, 2008
  4. On Jun 16, 1:38 pm, sunil <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 5:28 pm, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 16, 1:20 pm, sunil <> wrote:

    > > >   symbol not found: main          (./libxauthn.so)
    > > >         /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200/lib/libc_psr.so.1
    > > >         symbol not found:
    > > > checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors                (./libxauthn.so)
    > > >         /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1
    > > > ------------------------------------

    > > Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
    > > called by the application's "start up" code?

    > How to diagnose the problem whether third party function is calling or
    > not?
    > Am unaware where and how to dig into the problem.

    I should have paid more attention to the error. Given that you're
    getting a "symbol not found" error for "main", it definitely looks
    like the problem is with the "start up" code, i.e. the secret code
    that gets executed before main.

    I'd say the problem is either:
    1) The compiler is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled
    2) The project options are screwed up

    Try creating a brand new project and copying all the header and source
    files to it, then re-compile.

    If that doesn't work, re-install the compiler.

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 16, 2008
  5. sunil

    sunil Guest

    On Jun 16, 5:43 pm, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 1:38 pm, sunil <> wrote:

    > > > Maybe a 3rd party library is calling that function? Or maybe it's
    > > > called by the application's "start up" code?

    > > How to diagnose the problem whether third party function is calling or
    > > not?
    > > Am unaware where and how to dig into the problem.

    > I should have paid more attention to the error. Given that you're
    > getting a "symbol not found" error for "main", it definitely looks
    > like the problem is with the "start up" code, i.e. the secret code
    > that gets executed before main.
    >
    > I'd say the problem is either:
    >     1) The compiler is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled
    >     2) The project options are screwed up
    >
    > Try creating a brand new project and copying all the header and source
    > files to it, then re-compile.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, re-install the compiler.- Hide quoted text -

    Tomas/Eric

    Forgot to write onething in the last mail.The error pasted in the last
    mail is the output of the command "ldd -r <shared library name>",here
    the command is executed against my shared library.
    We are checking ldd against the library thats the reason it is
    throwing the "main" error.It is not our primary concern.
    Main concern is the symbol "checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors".From where
    this symbol is picked up?
    In my code I am not using this kind of function
    (checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors) or variable.Why it is coming only in
    one server if the rest of three is working fine.

    Regards
    Sunil.

    sunil, Jun 16, 2008
  6. On Jun 16, 2:00 pm, sunil <> wrote:

    > In my code I am not using this kind of function
    > (checkPropagateCustomCdasErrors) or variable.Why it is coming only in
    > one server if the rest of three is working fine.

    Two possibilites that come to mind:

    1) The other two servers don't call this function, but this
    problematic server does and it can't find it. This would be caused by
    the problematic server using a different version of a 3rd party
    library, for instance.

    2) All three servers call this function, but it's simply missing on
    the problematic server. This would be caused by a corrupt installation
    of the compiler or of 3rd party libraries.

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 16, 2008
  7. On Jun 16, 11:06 pm, CBFalconer <> wrote:

    > Be advised that Tomas is plonked for bigotry by various users here,
    > and thus his errors will not be corrected, or even seen, by many
    > users.  Tomas has also been known, earlier, to have some wierd
    > ideas about the C language.

    It's a shame you can't see past your own personal prejudices to
    embrace or at least tolerate my beliefs that are different to yours.
    Hopefully one day all humanity can co-exist peacefully.

    As for the allegations of "weird ideas", well I'll be more than happy
    to answer specific instances that are backed up with examples. Anyone
    can make wild allegations, see:
    CBFalconer was arrested for drug dealing back in 1995.

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 18, 2008
  8. On 18 Jun 2008 at 22:13, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 11:06 pm, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> Be advised that Tomas is plonked for bigotry by various users here

    > It's a shame you can't see past your own personal prejudices to
    > embrace or at least tolerate my beliefs that are different to yours.
    > Hopefully one day all humanity can co-exist peacefully.

    I wouldn't take anything CBF says to heart. In my experience, it's a
    blessing when he "plonks" you - you don't lose anything valuable, and
    you do lose the irritating white noise of his complaints and technical
    mistakes. To his eternal frustration, he isn't able to force others to
    add the same people to their killfiles as him.

    > As for the allegations of "weird ideas", well I'll be more than happy
    > to answer specific instances that are backed up with examples.

    I think he was referring to your preposterous use of "char unsigned"
    etc., and your silly overuse of the const qualifier.

    > Anyone can make wild allegations, see:
    > CBFalconer was arrested for drug dealing back in 1995.

    In 1995, CBF was 72 years old, and more likely to be spending the days
    sitting in his own piss watching Jerry Springer than dealing drugs. Now
    if only someone could sell /him/ some drugs - preferably horse
    tranquillizers.

    Antoninus Twink, Jun 18, 2008
  9. sunil

    sunil Guest

    On Jun 19, 3:29 am, Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    > On 18 Jun 2008 at 22:13, Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 16, 11:06 pm, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > >> Be advised that Tomas is plonked for bigotry by various users here

    > > It's a shame you can't see past your own personal prejudices to
    > > embrace or at least tolerate my beliefs that are different to yours.
    > > Hopefully one day all humanity can co-exist peacefully.

    > I wouldn't take anything CBF says to heart. In my experience, it's a
    > blessing when he "plonks" you - you don't lose anything valuable, and
    > you do lose the irritating white noise of his complaints and technical
    > mistakes. To his eternal frustration, he isn't able to force others to
    > add the same people to their killfiles as him.
    >
    > > As for the allegations of "weird ideas", well I'll be more than happy
    > > to answer specific instances that are backed up with examples.

    > I think he was referring to your preposterous use of "char unsigned"
    > etc., and your silly overuse of the const qualifier.
    >
    > > Anyone can make wild allegations, see:
    > >     CBFalconer was arrested for drug dealing back in 1995.

    > In 1995, CBF was 72 years old, and more likely to be spending the days
    > sitting in his own piss watching Jerry Springer than dealing drugs. Now
    > if only someone could sell /him/ some drugs - preferably horse
    > tranquillizers.

    Hi Guys

    I am not aware where this discussion is leading but my problem is
    resolved by diagnosing the library using the nm command.

    Regards
    Sunil.

    sunil, Jun 20, 2008