Unable to send an email - cdosys.dll problem

Akbur

Dear all,

I'm having major issues sending an email from my ASP.NET app.

I'm getting a "Could not create 'CDO.Message' object".

When I did a search for cdosys.dll in \win_location\system32, I could
not find it. So I copied it from another Windows 2003 server, where
it did exist. Another dependant file was missing too (inetcomm.dll).

I've tried registering cdosys.dll using regsvr32 cdosys.dll and also
regsvr32 \win_location\system32\cdosys.dll but I keep getting an error
'LoadLibrary(...) failed - a dynamic link library (DLL) initialization
routine failed'. The same happens when I try to registry
inetcomm.dll.

An SMTP service is installed on the Windows 2003 machine I am dealing
with. I have a feeling it is because cdosys.dll does not exist in the
registry which is why the error is occuring, but I do not know how to
overcome the LoadLibrary failure message.

Can anyone advise? I've read lots of good articles on the net but to
no avail.

Thanks,
Akbur

Mark Rae

[...]

Well, first things first... You say you are using ASP.NET, so what on earth
are you trying to do with cdosys.dll...?????

To send email in any .NET application, all you need is the System.Net.Mail
namespace, and a valid SMTP queue:
http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/1.3.aspx
http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/3.aspx

Akbur

Well, first things first... You say you are using ASP.NET, so what on earth
are you trying to do with cdosys.dll...?????

To send email in any .NET application, all you need is the System.Net.Mail
namespace, and a valid SMTP queue:http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/1.3.aspxhttp://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/3.aspx- Hide quoted text -

I am using System.Web.Mail in my code (still using ASP 1.1 for various
reasons and dont have the luxury of using the SmtpClient class) - but
I thought that cdosys.dll is used by System.Web.Mail and therefore is
necessary. You imply this is incorrect - fair enough.

In my code I'm doing a very simple SmtpMail.Send (...). Before I do
the send I ensure that SmtpMail.SmtpServer is set a remote SMTP
server. I still get the "Could not create 'CDO.Message' object"
error.

Aidy

Well, first things first... You say you are using ASP.NET, so what on
earth are you trying to do with cdosys.dll...?????

The .net mail class is simply a .net wrapper around the CDO COM objects.

He doesn't say what vs of .net he is using, maybe with 2.0 they have a pure
..net solution (I know they downgraded some classes in this area so hopefully
that is the case) but in 1.1 you defo use CDO.

Mark Rae

I am using System.Web.Mail in my code (still using ASP 1.1 for various
reasons and dont have the luxury of using the SmtpClient class)

OK. Generally speaking, because ASP.NET v2 has been out for nearly 18 months
now, people will assume that's what you are using unless you explicitly
state otherwise...
- but I thought that cdosys.dll is used by System.Web.Mail and therefore
is
necessary. You imply this is incorrect - fair enough.

Now that I know you're using v1.1, then things are a little different:
http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/1.3.aspx
http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/2.1.aspx
In my code I'm doing a very simple SmtpMail.Send (...). Before I do
the send I ensure that SmtpMail.SmtpServer is set a remote SMTP
server. I still get the "Could not create 'CDO.Message' object"
error.

To troubleshoot that, you'll need to inspect the InnerException property of
the Exception object:
http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/4.aspx

Also see the following:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...GLG:en&q="system.web.mail"+"Could+not+create"

Akbur

The .net mail class is simply a .net wrapper around the CDO COM objects.

He doesn't say what vs of .net he is using, maybe with 2.0 they have a pure
.net solution (I know they downgraded some classes in this area so hopefully
that is the case) but in 1.1 you defo use CDO.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm definitely using 1.1.

Akbur

He did in a later post...

It is, AFAIK...

Indeed - see subsequent posts in this thread...

Mark,

Thank you for your support. The issue has been resolved.

I found that vital DLL files were missing in my installation of
Windows 2003. For some reason, Outlook Express was not installed on
the server. This resulted in some dll's that System.Web.Mail requires
to be missing. Once I had installed Outlook Express 5 on the server,
I then proceeded to register cdosys.dll (regsvr32). I then ran my
ASP.NET 1.1 app again and found that it was working perfectly.

Best regards,
Akbur