Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by joef, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. joef

    joef Guest

    I'm running VS on my PC (W2K) connected to a remote IIS server (W2K)
    SP4 that is not a domain controller. I've got the ASPNET and IWAM
    accounts in the "Impersonate a client after authentication" user rights
    on the server. I'm in the local admins and debuggers groups. When
    trying to debug, I'm getting the:

    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on
    the web server. Catastrophic failure

    error, and I've seen other questions in this group with the same
    problem and I've tried the solutions recommended there without success.

    On the VS install on the server, under "server components\remote
    debugger I've got full remote debugging, not native. I've got DEBUG
    under the allowverbs section of urlscan.ini

    I've gone through the recommendations in the article:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtbshttpservererrors.asp

    Should I check the DCOM settings - and if so, how? I've seen
    references to an RPCPing tool, but couldn't find it -- would it be
    worth getting that tool? What port(s) does debugging use?

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

    Joe

    joef, Nov 25, 2005