Unable to start debugging on the web server; VS.net 2002 on XP Pro

Guest

Just started to test a VB.net 2002 project for ASP.net application.
After successfully installed the VS.net 2002 and tested the
IIS 5.1 on XP Pro SP2 for some classical ASP programs, I am starting
to build ASP.net programs now.

For a new ASP.net project, an error message (i.e Unable to start
debugging on the web server) popped out. I disabled the ASP.net
debugging for 3-4 projects. However, I either could not see the
ASP.net Server-side design page, or could not run the
Server-side codes/buttons.

I did re-install VS.net 2002 twice; but the error message is still the
same. The complete error message is:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
web server. The server does not support debugging of ASP.net or
ATL Server applications. Run setup to install the VS.net server
environment. If setup has been run verify that a valid URL has been
specified.
You may also want to refer to the ASP.net and ATL Server debuggiong
topic in the online documentation. Would you like to disable future
attempts to debug ASP.net pages for this project? Yes. No, Help?

My questions: 1. On the Debug menu, there are two commands, Start and
Start w/o debug. What's the difference between these two commands?
Can we run ASP.net programs without debugging the codes first?
2. How can I start VS.net 2002 debugging on my IIS 5.1?

TIA,
Jeffrey

Guest

I did re-install VS.net 2002 twice; but the error message is still the
same. The complete error message is:

This error may occur if the Microsoft .NET Framework setup or
installation was not completed correctly. When this occurs, the
application mappings for ASP.NET file name extensions (such as .aspx)
are not configured correctly in Microsoft Internet Information
Services (IIS).

Check the following article to resolve the problem

Guest

Thanks. Another reason for this error is the VS.net uses the wrong version of
..NET Framework. How do I know my VS.net is using the right .NET
Framework?

TIA,
Jeffrey

Guest

Thanks. Another reason for this error is the VS.net uses the wrong version of
.NET Framework. How do I know my VS.net is using the right .NET
Framework?

For VS.NET 2002 you should use .NET 1.0, so go to

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705

and run the IIS Registration Tool aspnet_regiis.exe, do it from the
command prompt, for example:

aspnet_regiis -r

More about "-r" and aspnet_regiis you can find at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(vs.80).aspx

Note: After you installed the .NET 2 (could be installed together with
v.1.0 and v.1.1), you might use a new ASP.NET tab in IIS properties
that let you choose the framework version for the site...