    why I am not able to execute perl from c: even though the path
    variable is updated?

    PC
    pc, Aug 15, 2007

  2. pc

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, pc <> wrote:
    > Hi,I have downloaded and installed active perl.Its in C:/Perl .The
    > path c:/perl/bin is present in my path variable but still when I type
    > perl in C: the command is not recognized.However, if i change
    > directory to c:/perl/bin and type perl it works.Can some one tell me
    > why I am not able to execute perl from c: even though the path
    > variable is updated?

    What leads you to believe that C:/perl/bin is in your path? The fact
    that cmd.exe can't find a program that's in that directory when you're
    not in that directory suggests that it's not in your path.

    If you updated your path while you had a command window open, that
    command window's path will not be updated to reflect the changes.
    Close the window and reopen it.

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Aug 15, 2007

  3. pc

    googler Guest

    On Aug 15, 1:12 pm, pc <> wrote:
    > Hi,I have downloaded and installed active perl.Its in C:/Perl .The
    > path c:/perl/bin is present in my path variable but still when I type
    > perl in C: the command is not recognized.

    Do you have only one environment variable for path? Is it called Path
    or PATH?
    googler, Aug 15, 2007
  4. pc

    pc Guest

    Hi Paula and Googler,

    I am sure that the Path is set because I chekced it in My Computer--
    >Advanced-->Environment variables .I see that there is a variable

    "Path" which contains c:/perl/bin in it.
    pc, Aug 16, 2007
  5. pc

    Sisyphus Guest

    "pc" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Paula and Googler,
    >
    > I am sure that the Path is set because I chekced it in My Computer--
    >>Advanced-->Environment variables .I see that there is a variable

    > "Path" which contains c:/perl/bin in it.

    At the command prompt, enter:
    path

    If the output doesn't contain C:\perl\bin, then there's your answer.
    If the output *does* contain C:\perl\bin, then please post a copy'n'paste of
    that output so that we can peruse it.

    I believe that none of us (including me) have ever come across a situation
    where the claim you are making is correct.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Aug 16, 2007
  6. pc

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Aug 15, 8:17 pm, pc <> wrote:
    > Hi Paula and Googler,

    Paula is a female's name. My name is Paul.

    > I am sure that the Path is set because I chekced it in My Computer-->Advanced-->Environment variables .I see that there is a variable
    >
    > "Path" which contains c:/perl/bin in it.

    Does it actually contain exactly that, or does it contain the correct
    C:\perl\bin?

    Paul lalli
    Paul Lalli, Aug 16, 2007
  7. pc

    pc Guest

    Hi,

    Paul-Sorry for typing your name wrong.
    I changed the direction of the slash from / to \ and its working fine
    now.
    Thank you Paul,Rob,Googler for your help
    pc, Aug 16, 2007
  8. pc

    googler Guest

    On Aug 15, 8:18 pm, pc <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Paul-Sorry for typing your name wrong.
    > I changed the direction of the slash from / to \ and its working fine
    > now.
    > Thank you Paul,Rob,Googler for your help

    That's a bit strange. I did see that you were using / instead of \ in
    your path name, but I thought that Windows usually accepts / too. In
    fact I changed my Path environment variable to use / and the 'perl'
    command still worked for me. So I didn't point this out. I guess this
    must be due to different versions of the OS.
    googler, Aug 16, 2007
  9. "googler" typed:
    > pc <> wrote:
    >> Paul-Sorry for typing your name wrong.
    >> I changed the direction of the slash from / to \ and its working
    >> fine now.
    >> Thank you Paul,Rob,Googler for your help

    > That's a bit strange. I did see that you were using / instead of \ in
    > your path name, but I thought that Windows usually accepts / too. In
    > fact I changed my Path environment variable to use / and the 'perl'
    > command still worked for me. So I didn't point this out. I guess this
    > must be due to different versions of the OS.

    I bet the OP unwittingly fixed the PATH while re-typing it to use
    backslashes.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan, Aug 16, 2007