Unable to Validate at w3.org

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jeff, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
    have the header placed in there but get the following error message
    for the site:

    http://www.thelaw.com

    I added the following at the header:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    and get the error message below:

    I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
    the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
    it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

    The HTTP Content-Type field.
    The XML Declaration.
    The HTML "META" element.
    And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in
    Appendix F of the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

    Since none of these sources yielded any usable information, I will not
    be able to validate this document. Sorry. Please make sure you specify
    the character encoding in use.

    jeff, Dec 14, 2003

  2. jeff wrote:

    > Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org.

    > I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
    > the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
    > it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

    It tells you why.

    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Dec 14, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
    > have the header placed in there but get the following error message
    > for the site:
    >
    > http://www.thelaw.com
    >
    > I added the following at the header:

    > and get the error message below:
    >

    > I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
    > the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
    > it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:
    >
    > The HTTP Content-Type field.

    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 14, 2003
  4. jeff

    jeff Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:40:56 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
    >> have the header placed in there but get the following error message
    >> for the site:
    >>
    >> http://www.thelaw.com
    >>
    >> I added the following at the header:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >>
    >> and get the error message below:
    >>

    >> I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
    >> the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
    >> it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:
    >>
    >> The HTTP Content-Type field.

    Many thanks... sometimes you look things over a thousand times....

    jeff, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Andreas Prilop, Dec 15, 2003