Unable to Validate at w3.org

jeff

Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
have the header placed in there but get the following error message
for the site:

http://www.thelaw.com

I added the following at the header:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

and get the error message below:

I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

The HTTP Content-Type field.
The XML Declaration.
The HTML "META" element.
And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in
Appendix F of the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

Since none of these sources yielded any usable information, I will not
be able to validate this document. Sorry. Please make sure you specify
the character encoding in use.

Hywel Jenkins