Unable to validate data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mikeachamberlain@gmail.com, May 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello.

    On our website we occasionally get the dreaded error:

    Exception:
    System.Web.HttpException
    Unable to validate data.

    Stack trace:
    at System.Web.Configuration.MachineKey.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf,
    Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength)
    at System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input)

    Viewstate (example):
    dDwtMjk4NDUyOTEyOzs+HhqaxzF2H593HEX/Hn/ArvKK7AU=

    Machine Key tag from Web.config (modified slightly here for security):
    <machineKey
    validationKey='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX1B81214A550B89F2A318B3712FB5AC8CD82AF4F3925B3C6ED58CF5F38503629A78BF8C27B1B736C4E84DACE342AB83A42932B44EBC3D7601'
    decryptionKey='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX3133028CBD4E6EEFC45B5E609D7F4107'
    validation='SHA1'/>

    I have scoured google for months trying to solve this problem. I can
    confirm:

    - we are not using a cluster / webfarm
    - we are not using any Server.Transfers (eg. the viewstate is being
    posted back to the correct page as far as we can see)
    - we have manually set the encryption / decryption key in Web.config as
    above
    - the site runs in its own application pool, and recycling of the
    worker process is disabled

    The site will run fine for weeks, then suddenly we may get a multiple
    instances of these come through at once from at least two different
    users. It is only ever on one specific page though. This page does
    not create any controls dynamically.

    The example viewstate above does indeed appear to be invalid when we
    try to run it through a view state decoder.

    I am completely stuck and the boss is losing patience! Can anyone
    help?

    Mike
    , May 31, 2006

  2. Mark Rae Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Can anyone help?

    I had exactly the same problem - one only one page - on only one of my
    sites.

    Touch wood, the upgrade to v2 seems to have fixed it inasmuch as I've not
    had one single instance of it since around the beginning of December when I
    deployed the v2 version.
    Mark Rae, May 31, 2006

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Can anyone help?

    > I had exactly the same problem - one only one page - on only one of my
    > sites.
    >
    > Touch wood, the upgrade to v2 seems to have fixed it inasmuch as I've not
    > had one single instance of it since around the beginning of December when I
    > deployed the v2 version.

    We believe it has to be a problem on the client rather than the server.
    The only thing different about the page that gives the error is that
    it is redirected to using a javascript redirect or a meta refresh
    (depending on the browser). Despite the fact that we have disabled
    client caching (or so we believe), we think that this redirect could be
    causing badly behaved clients to be posting back an old version of tha
    page.

    We have now removed this client redirect to see if solves the issue. I
    will report back once we know more.

    Mike
    , Jun 2, 2006