Unappropriate ioctl for device

Benoit Guillon

Hello,

I upgraded Perl from 5.6 to 5.8. The software I develop used to work fine with
Perl 5.6 and now, sometimes, I get the error "Unappropriate ioctl for device"
when I try to open a file for write.

My Perl version is v5.8.0 included in the Debian 'sid' - unstable.

Does somebody have an idea ?

Thanks,

Benoit.

news

Also sprach Benoit Guillon:
I upgraded Perl from 5.6 to 5.8. The software I develop used to work
fine with Perl 5.6 and now, sometimes, I get the error "Unappropriate
ioctl for device" when I try to open a file for write.

Tassilo v. Parseval said:
That would be odd. There is no ioctl(2) involved when opening regular
files (I just checked with strace). Can you give a small example that
exhibits this behaviour?

At a guess, the OP's actually reading/writing a *process* (not a regular
file) in a UNIX environment and they have an unprotected "stty" command
in their shell startup file (e.g. .bashrc, .cshrc, .kshrc, whatever).

In which case, of course, it's not (directly) a perl issue, but an OS one.

test -t 0 && stty... # Only try stty with a real terminal

Chris